Male or female?

lStill doesn't show the tertial coverst well, scaps still partially cover them, but the rump looks drakish with it being so dark and without feather edging. It's one of those things that makes trying to see things in pics difficult...

Clint

Now that I look at mine again, at that age it's not very obvious, so it may just be the lighting in your pics. This is how subtle the difference is at about 5 weeks. The one looking up is a girl, the one behind her is a boy, and the one behind and kind of to the right is a girl. You can only really see the yellow-green tint on the part closest to his face.

This is the quacking you'll be watching for; this was about a week after the pic above.

Keep listening; one of my girls started just before 5 weeks, the other was right at 6 weeks, so if yours is only a month old, it may still be a little early. I usually only got those noises out of them if they were separated (whether it was my fault or theirs, lol). The boy didn't sound raspy until after 7 weeks, then I was sure he was a "he" and not just a late-blooming girl, lol.

It's a female. Because if it was a male it would have more color. Here's a picture of a male mallard . he doesn't have he's curl tail cause the rooster pull it off...
sad.png
and here is a pic of a female mallard

It's a female. Because if it was a male it would have more color. Here's a picture of a male mallard . he doesn't have he's curl tail cause the rooster pull it off...
sad.png
and here is a pic of a female mallard

At this stage if it is a drake it would not have this color yet. Too young. Just listen for the voice.

Back
Top Bottom