male or female

They may surprise you but don't be too disappointed if it's in the spring unless you live were it stays warm year round.
smile.png

I been getting an egg a day for three days now from dakota my brown pekin she is inside i live in montana and its cold.but is that why she is laying egg cause she is inside and it warm

I been getting an egg a day for three days now from dakota my brown pekin she is inside i live in montana and its cold.but is that why she is laying egg cause she is inside and it warm
Yep and the extra light makes her think longer days than is actually out side. Not much you can do other than keep her in the dark but I wouldn't, so just make sure she is getting plenty of calcium most of us use Oyster shell, she'll need the extra to keep the calcium from leaching out of her bones to make hard shells and good quality feed. do you not have a outside housing for them? or just feel it's too cold for them? remember they are wearing down under their feathers and risk over heating if in a warm house. You could keep them at room temp around 40-50 though and turn the light off when it becomes dark outside.

Last edited:
I give them oyster shell stuff and good feed.we need to weather proof there house outside my husband hasnt done it yet i dont know how.i have them inside but keep it cool not too warm.its a lot of work to keep it clean i cant wait to get there shelter done we do take them out for a bit every day .

I give them oyster shell stuff and good feed.we need to weather proof there house outside my husband hasnt done it yet i dont know how.i have them inside but keep it cool not too warm.its a lot of work to keep it clean i cant wait to get there shelter done we do take them out for a bit every day .
Sounds like your doing all you can, and by getting them out side some each day it does help them stay a bit acclimated to the out door temps. Hope you get their house finished soon I'm sure you have your hands full cleaning up after them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom