Male Quail

I hear the same thing!

Mine are about 12 weeks, and were all pretty quiet until my roo started to get randy. He was tearing up the lead hen - badly! Had to remove her twice, and thought for sure we were going to lose her each time. After the second time, we noticed the next morning that the other two hens were starting to look worse for wear, so we pulled the bad boy out and isolated him.

He was NOT HAPPY! Started crowing up a storm! That was the first we heard of him (any of them, actually). He was pretty loud about it for a few hours, and now only crows occasionally (just to let us know he is there, I think).

He is pretty loud - much louder than I expected - but the noise is not constant and blends in with the rest of the wildlife around, so he isn't a nuisance. I just laugh when I hear him.

Good grief! Quail crow?!
th.gif

LOL.
lol.png

[/quote name="quail31" url="/t/792260/male-quail#post_11408220"]does anybody know when male japanese quail start to crow ???
[/quote]

From my very limited, newbie experience... three o'clock in the morning. :/

Last edited:
[/quote name="quail31" url="/t/792260/male-quail#post_11408220"]does anybody know when male japanese quail start to crow ???

From my very limited, newbie experience... three o'clock in the morning.
hmm.png
[/QUOTE]
Mine started at 3 weeks old.
yuckyuck.gif
And I'm sure 3am is about right.

I'm sleeping in the room next to my 5 week old coturnix (they'll go outside as soon as the pen has a bottom). I don't think they're really all that loud, but I guess some things are dependent on your noise tolerance.

They're mine, so I'm bemused by them, but if you learned to hate them, I guess it would get on your nerves.

Back
Top Bottom