male to female ratio?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pullonyourboots, Aug 17, 2013.

1. pullonyourboots

pullonyourboots Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    we started out with 6 female and 4 male pekins. We lost 1 due to a raccoon so were not if we lost a male or female. they are now 8 weeks old and a couple have curled tails and they are beginning to mate. We want to have lots of eggs and ducklings too. We also plan on culling a couple soon but were not sure if we should do one of each or two males... how many do you have of each to have a good supply of ducklings and eggs?

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Do not cull your females. With 6 females, your flock might be able to have 2-3 males. Depends on the drakes tho.

3. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG]
    I would not keep more than one male to 3-4 females. I have one male and 5 females (Khaki Campbells) and that one drake is enough!

4. pullonyourboots

pullonyourboots Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    Yeah were noticing how aggressive the males are so to have little babies running around, im thinking 3-4 is too many.

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I go 8 females to 2 drakes here as a rule, although currently I do have some immature drakes. They aren't all staying.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I would try to keep 2 males so that you have a back up in case you lose one. More than that (and maybe even with 2) and you will run into overbreeding and aggression.

Are you going to be incubating your eggs? Pekin aren't known to be good broodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by