male to female ratio?

pullonyourboots

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 3, 2013
Cape Cod, MA
we started out with 6 female and 4 male pekins. We lost 1 due to a raccoon so were not if we lost a male or female. they are now 8 weeks old and a couple have curled tails and they are beginning to mate. We want to have lots of eggs and ducklings too. We also plan on culling a couple soon but were not sure if we should do one of each or two males... how many do you have of each to have a good supply of ducklings and eggs?

we started out with 6 female and 4 male pekins. We lost 1 due to a raccoon so were not if we lost a male or female. they are now 8 weeks old and a couple have curled tails and they are beginning to mate. We want to have lots of eggs and ducklings too. We also plan on culling a couple soon but were not sure if we should do one of each or two males... how many do you have of each to have a good supply of ducklings and eggs?

welcome-byc.gif

I would not keep more than one male to 3-4 females. I have one male and 5 females (Khaki Campbells) and that one drake is enough!

I would try to keep 2 males so that you have a back up in case you lose one. More than that (and maybe even with 2) and you will run into overbreeding and aggression.

Are you going to be incubating your eggs? Pekin aren't known to be good broodies.

Back
Top Bottom