Male turkey trying to hatch eggs?

JewelBirds

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 13, 2017
So, I have a 3 year old male Royal Palm turkey, who seems to be brooding? The Muscovy duck laid some of her eggs in their pen (unbeknownst to me initially), and I started noticing some odd behavior in one of my male turkeys, Zeke Jr. He was laying in the corner pretty much all day for a few days, so I investigated. And discovered eggs that he was laying on. Is it normal for male turkeys to want to hatch out eggs? I find it cute and funny at the same time, but I am also genuinely curious.
20220812_202954.jpg

There were two eggs, but he accidentally broke one of them.
20220812_203033.jpg

So, I have a 3 year old male Royal Palm turkey, who seems to be brooding? The Muscovy duck laid some of her eggs in their pen (unbeknownst to me initially), and I started noticing some odd behavior in one of my male turkeys, Zeke Jr. He was laying in the corner pretty much all day for a few days, so I investigated. And discovered eggs that he was laying on. Is it normal for male turkeys to want to hatch out eggs? I find it cute and funny at the same time, but I am also genuinely curious.
View attachment 3222050
There were two eggs, but he accidentally broke one of them.
View attachment 3222051
It happens. It usually ends in failure.

My Romeo has never tried incubating (though I have heard of males doing that) but he does adopt poults that I add to the pen. He's been playing dad to the young ones that I put in a couple weeks ago, keeping them warm at night and making sure they go in the coop in the evening.

20220804_210839.jpg
20220804_210825.jpg
20220806_203952.jpg

Back
Top Bottom