Males Added for Warmth - Yikes!!!!!

may be the males might be rhode island reds but i am no expert. i only have one RIR.

I have a shipment coming tomorrow from cackle of 10 bantums and they have a special heat pack they are supposed to put in the box. soooo hoping the heat wed and today didnt do anything to the poor babies. its cooler now sooo will find out tomorrow am when they come
smile.png

wished i would have ordered more EE's though.

Quote:
There must be an overpopulation of Rhode Island Red Males at every hatchery! That's my guess; that's what Ideal put in my order - with Guineas, no less!

Quote:
Ummmm. Hate to disappoint you. But from Ideal I got 8 RIR roos for fillers!
smile.png

That's ok with me! I raise meat birds as well as have hens, so if there's a bunch of roos, that's just more dinners
smile.png

Your packing peanuts are Rhode Island Reds. I know cause when I placed an order of 10 chicks to Ideal Poultry last summer, they sent 15. They included 5 RIR cockerels. I was not happy about that cause I don't have the stomach to butcher my own birds. But I really did not like those boys. We handled them just as much as the chicks we actually ordered, but one, no matter how much we handled him, he would bite. I have a Black Copper Marans cockerel like that right now, and if he keeps it up, I'm going to pay a neighbor to get him ready for a barbeque, cause his attitude stinks, lol. But I ended up keeping those boys for about 6 months trying desperately to get rid of them. Finally someone here on BYC took them. And I don't want to know what he did with them either. They beat up my other birds all the time, and were just in general nasty tempered. That one bit us clear up til we got rid of him. I think that if we had kept him, he would have been flogging us, and then I would have been strangling him. RIR's are not a breed that I personally care for. There's a slim chance one or two of your might be pullets. Don't hold your breath though, chances are slim, but still, it's a chance. All 5 of ours were boys, though we hoped and prayed at least one wasn't. Your chicks and poults all look really good and healthy. Those little BO's are so fluffy! Good luck with your new babies. Another few weeks after looking at those cute fluffy butts, you won't want to get rid of any of them, lol. Except those packing peanuts. BBQ sounds good...
wink.png

The chicks are settling in nicely, and are actually quite calm when I put my hand in the brooder. In fact, one of the turkeys likes to follow my hand around and keep close to it. That may not be a good thing around November 22nd
hide.gif

Thanks everyone -
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom