katiemichelle4

Chirping
Apr 24, 2018
I have a male and a female pekin, and a male and a female indian runner (4 total)
The little guy(indian runner) is just so pesky to my female pekin and has been pecking at her everytime she tries to eat or drink. He tries to mate with her but he’s so much smaller than her so he never achieves! And then my male pekin is very aggressive towards me. I’ve read to make yourself the alpha by pinning him down for a minute or 2 everytime he tries to bite you so i’m going to try that. I’m not in a place to get another female which seems to be the answer everytime I google what to do. This is my first mating season so it’s very new to me, any tips or advice anyone can give me about mating season and to ease my mind about the males being so mean to the females, and myself!

I agree: Too many drakes and not enough females during the »hormon season«. In this situation the "pin-down" method won't really work that good. I had to pin down (dominate) my large drake Donald several times because he started to question me as the ultimate flock leader, but that was during autumn and winter and had nothing to do with raging hormones. You should set up a »drake jail«.

This is our 1st year dealing with our drake and spring hormones, such fun. I agree, have a seperate space all set up so you can seperate if needed. Pinning our drake down does help sometimes but not always. He's a good duck most days but just a jerk other days.
His favorite move is to wait until I have my back turned then come running over to nip at me...when I turn around he is suddenly not so brave and runs away :) That little guy keeps me on my toes for sure.

We went to town last night and got a bite to eat, then went to the park and fed the ducks... it was like a duck orgy and a duck bar fight all at once. :eek:

I’m no prude, but my goodness ducks! there were children around! :th

Take the broom with you and chase him off with a swat to the butt. Then when you turn your back to him surprise him a few times by turning around ready to surprise him again with a swat. Your not hitting him just lightly swatting him to let him know your not going to put up with his funny business. I had a Muscovy drake that would wait till I turned around and walk away I could hear his Webb’s flapping on the ground behind me as soon as I would turn around he’d stop and look around like “what” he never touched me though. Never let them get away with nipping.

Take the broom with you and chase him off with a swat to the butt. Then when you turn your back to him surprise him a few times by turning around ready to surprise him again with a swat. Your not hitting him just lightly swatting him to let him know your not going to put up with his funny business. I had a Muscovy drake that would wait till I turned around and walk away I could hear his Webb’s flapping on the ground behind me as soon as I would turn around he’d stop and look around like “what” he never touched me though. Never let them get away with nipping.
Good idea! I've often put my arms out and gone stomping towards him to chase him off. Using a broom would make us look a little less crazy to the neighbors :)

Back
Top Bottom