Males Fighting

Petsketch

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 17, 2011
Hi everyone. I have 3 ducks; two males and one female. The males are fighting now that spring is here and I have to keep them separated, which makes life miserable for everyone. If I just let the males 'duke it out' is that wise? Will they eventually settle things amoungst themselves? I am thinking if not, I need to find one of the males a new home. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have thought of getting another female but I don't know if that will stop the fighting.

Thanks-
Cassandra<><

I had this problem with 3 males and 3 females. No they will not stop until the "competition" is eliminated. Two of my males killed the weaker male.
sad.png
I now have 3 females and 2 males. This has fixed the fights. You need more females then males. Getting another female may fix the problem, but getting two more females (if you have room) would be better.

Thank you for the insight. If they are just going to continue to fight, then I would like to find a home for one of the males and get another female. Any suggestions where I can post an ad for the male? I have tried Craigslist and for some reason I can't post in the classified section on this forum. I haven't a clue as to why.

Not sure were you are located but you may try putting up a flyer at a local feed store. I have not tried to use the classified thread on here yet so not sure how that works.

I have 2 muscovy drakes to 10 hens and they still fight. Just last night I heard the chickens in the barn going nuts so I ran out thinking there was some sort of predator just to find the boys trying to kill eachother lol. Usually during the day it's not an issue because they free range and go off with their own hens but night time everyone is together. My advice is to get rid of one drake, sucks I know but unless you really want to keep the apart all the time they more than likely will never get along during breeding seasons.

Thanks...I will try the local feedstore. This time of year is probably very bad in trying to rehome a drake, with everyone buying cute little babies. I think I figured out the BST section of this website...you have to have at least 20 posts to list a classified. I just read the FAQ section and found it.

Thanks Nicki...I feel terrible about the whole thing and hope I can find a good home for the one drake. He is a gorgeous Cayuaga that I hatched out last summer.

Wonder if Cayugas are more aggressive? My Cayuga male is my problem, he even attacks my dogs and me and just about anything that moves. My German Shepherd is scared to death of him!
hide.gif
I just kind of figured it was because all of my animals are a little "off". The Hamster and Chihuahua are co-rulers of the house with the Cayuga running close behind in rank.
idunno.gif
Cayugas are beautiful and highly entertaining though so hopefully you can find him a good home quickly.

Thanks...I think they are a great breed too! My original male follows me around, right by my ankle like a dog.

A Cayuga male... tell me you aren't in Texas... <G> I don't have a spot for a sexually mature male but I lost my male cayuga I ordered <I had ordered him and 3 girls... and lost the male.>

Back
Top Bottom