males or females? RIR, Ameraucanas

PeachygirlGA

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2012
Fort Valley, GA
Ok, this is the first time I've posted pictures so here goes!
This is one of our ameraucanas "Big Dan": boy or girl?

here is a RIR "Curious" I'm thinking male?
another RIR "Butterscotch" I'm hoping is female but I have my doubts

They are 5 weeks old. The guy who sold them to my husband said they were ameraucana. Oh well! I have 2 more that I just didn't get a picture of, but the other "ameraucana" looks very similar to that one and the other RIR doesn't have as big of a comb as the other 2 so I'm thinking it's a female. Will try to get pics of them too. I was hoping only one RIR was a male. I already have a buff orpington rooster and don't think I can have 2 with only 8 hens.

Ahh, that must be why they do the "chest bump"! lol! I've gotten really attached to the one we call "Curious". He jumps up in my lap and falls asleep. I sure do hate to get rid of them. I really wanted 4 hens out of the 5. Oh well, looks like we'll be starting over with some new chicks soon! lol! At least we're already set up for them.

They are hatchery rhode island reds. No biggie. I have one myself and I love her! I'd love to have another. She's on the right.
600262c2-1bb4-c80e.jpg

Her as a chick.
chickens3012.jpg

GyspyRose014.jpg

Unfortunately your RIR's are boys. Their combs are well developed.

Last edited:
What she's calling Production Reds are just likely hatchery quality RIRs. Ideal sells them as two separate breeds. Some production reds are crosses of New Hampshire and RIR, some are not, just depends.

A true heritage RIR is almost black in color, very very dark. If they came from a hatchery, they are just not that type.

Back
Top Bottom