males or females ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by paulcooper05, Oct 25, 2015.

1. paulcooper05

paulcooper05 New Egg

Oct 25, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]can anyone tell me the sexes and breed of these chicks i got i have 7 total[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. icemanabk

icemanabk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2015
    Nebraska
    Too early.
    Usually the places people buy chicks sexed from they use a high powered light and see of it has testicles or not when theyre a day old. Sometimes theyre wrong still.

At around four weeks, youll have better clues but nothing solid til later on.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Chicks are vent sexed at the hatchery. It's not possible to see a cockrel's testicles, as they are internal, tucked very high up in the abdominal cavity along the spine. How old are they, Paul? Where did you get them from???

4. paulcooper05

paulcooper05 New Egg

Oct 25, 2015
    i have had them about 40 days tops there from atwoods i have some other pics as well of some of the others

5. icemanabk

icemanabk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2015
    Nebraska

venting they look for a bump. Is it not the testicles they look for?

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Nope, and even females have a bump or two! There are many subtle differences between male and female, and even between different males, and between different females. If you do a google search, you'll find some pics, and they will astound you at the apparent difficulty of accurately vent sexing. The cloaca has to be inverted to view the anatomy. That's why it takes experience to do it without hurting the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by