Malformed toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bil, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I have a chick whose toes are malformed. She walks, jumps, climbs and roosts with no problem, so I'm not worried about it. Just thought I would share and see if anybody had any advice in any way, or what I should be watching for in the future.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bil

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    That's a common incubation problem. It's easily fixed with boots at a young age, but at that age it probably wouldn't do any good. MoleSkin works best in my opinion, but bandaids work well too. Make 2 W shaped bandages and sandwich the toes between the two pieces. Depending on how bad they are, the toes should be fixed in a week. I think it's caused by humidity that is too high.

3. chicks4myboys

chicks4myboys New Egg

Apr 10, 2009
    I have an auracana that is a year old and she has some bent toes too. she seems to be healthy as ever. I thought that she had just broken a toe as a chick but I have learned that sometimes these things just happen. It does look a little wierd though.

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I have a black Sexlink girl(9 weeks old) that her toes look kinda like that both of the outside toes on both feet are bent like a horse shoe or an anchor the middle and back toes are normal, she walks fine and is way bigger than the one that came with her. She eats fine ,'climbs, all that is normal. She doesn't act like she is in any pain. She came from Ideal so I don't know anything about the humidity or temps they use there. Sandy

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  5. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    i have six chicks or young pullets by now. they are from ideal and the 2 barred rocks have toes like that. i didn't notice it until it was too late to fix, but they don't seem to notice because they can roost and what not just fine. if they can eat drink and be merry, I wouldn't worry about it.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've got one Black Orp banty chick that looks awful with his toes curled under. It may be due to incubation problems but sometimes its genetics which mine might be the case because it was like three generation of half bro x half sis matings going on. The next batch I will get some outcross and see if it happens again.

I would not worry about her and enjoy her as an egg layer.

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    In my opinion, it's caused by temps too high in the brooder...while we don't want the peeps to be chilled, it's sometimes too warm in there eh?

~ bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by