Mallard babies x23??!?!

Nomibear

Songster
7 Years
May 23, 2012
Pleasanton Tx
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all, we have 7 Mallards. 4 drakes, and 3 girls. They are 5 1/2 months old now. For the last couple of weeks, I have been finding their eggs. The first 6 I found all together in a tangle of high grass, and branches I was removing. I took those away, and eventually opened them. They were fertile.
I found their 2nd nest in more tall grass. Tuesday I realized she had been on it all day. This morning when I fed them she was off the nest, and I counted "at least" 23 eggs!! Is it possible for her to hatch this many?! Do mallards often nest in the fall? Is there anything else I should know?
Thanks ~N

I have a Mallard hen that went broody 5 days ago and I was told that, yes, they can hatch a clutch this late in the year. As for how many she can hatch, I've no idea

Hi all, we have 7 Mallards. 4 drakes, and 3 girls. They are 5 1/2 months old now. For the last couple of weeks, I have been finding their eggs. The first 6 I found all together in a tangle of high grass, and branches I was removing. I took those away, and eventually opened them. They were fertile.
I found their 2nd nest in more tall grass. Tuesday I realized she had been on it all day. This morning when I fed them she was off the nest, and I counted "at least" 23 eggs!! Is it possible for her to hatch this many?! Do mallards often nest in the fall? Is there anything else I should know?
Thanks ~N
Congrats! Yeah, hatching should be okay, especially since you live in a warmer area...23 to me sounds like a lot....have you seen her sitting on the nest? Can se cover all of them? IDK I'm no expert, good luck with the little ones!

Yes, it's good and hot here today. She seems to be on the nest every day. She is usually only off when I feed them early in the morning. She does seem to be covering them all. They are maybe 14-16 on top, and some in a layer below...

Back
Top Bottom