Mallard Duckling Rescue

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
At least I think they're mallards.

My best friend's husband rescued 12 total ducklings from a storm drain at a gas station near his work, about 50 miles from where we live. I guess the mother duck had walked through the parking lot earlier in the day and a few had fallen down the grate over the culvert. She realized that she had lost a few, went back and the others fell in, too. She quacked and fussed around the grate for an hour or so, but then left and hadn't been seen for hours.

By the time he got there, they had been in the storm drain for 3 or 4 hours. The gas station people had called the local police, and they were told baby ducks down a storm drain was not an emergency, so they were on there own. No one had been able to lift the grate off, but the husband, being 6 foot 6 inches tall, was able to get the leverage on it and lifted it off. LOL. Another kid crawled down the storm drain to get the ducklings.

Her husband grabbed as many as he could, because people were just grabbing one and taking off with them. He ended up with 8 of the 12, and I ended up with 6 of the 8. The other two are being safely brooded by a neighbor of theirs.

Anyway, here's some pics. They are mallards, right?

5981_img_2464.jpg

5981_img_2465.jpg

They're adorable and sweet and I'm smitten. She called me in a panic, but knowing I'd know what to do. LOL.. She said, well, you ARE the crazy chicken lady after all.

Blessings-
Em

Awww. Yes, they are mallards. If you have a rescue agency in your area, they would be glad to take them. They handle things like this all the time.

I know the lady who runs the local wildlife refuge, LOL. She's overrun this time of year. Last time I spoke with her, she had 60+ ducklings. I figure we'll grow them out here and they'll migrate at the end of the season. If they choose to overwinter here, we'll feed them and care for them. What's a few more ducks?

Blessings-
Em

Quote:
Yeah, our rescue place is overwhelmed with animals, especially ducklings, this time of year, too. You shouldn't get into any trouble keeping them if you've already contacted the proper people about them. So, might as well raise them up. Mallards are nice ducks.

I would recommend giving them Purina Game Bird Chow startena for the first 6 weeks. That will replicate their diet in the wild and ensure they grow strong wings and good feathers. After 6 weeks switch to Purina Game Bird Chow Flight Conditioner until they fly off or get fully grown.

It's important to feed them a high quality feed for them to reach their genetic potential.

Back
Top Bottom