Mallard Gender Identification

Lady M

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Central Washington

Not the best photo (sorry about that...) But i am wondering if the two Mallards i got are, in fact, Drakes. They are both starting to show an almost green hue to the tops of their noggins, and at only 5 weeks. :th
So far, out of the 5 ducklings purchased, my Khaki Campbell is the only one quacking. The two Cayuga arent making ANY noise at all (while Im around). My khaki is most likely female, as her quack is DEFINITE. But the Mallards (Very top and very bottom in photo) have a raspy tone.
*sigh* whats the chances i grabbed 1 girl and 4 boys...?
:hit

Boys won't immediately get their breeding plumage. When mallards first feather out, they all look the same. And yeah, there is a slight green shimmer to some of the black on their heads often, but I had that with both of my girls as well as the boys. The males will molt again around 10-12 weeks, as I recall, and will then look like a traditional male mallard. A week or two before you see the new feathers come in, you'll notice their bills turning a yellowish-greenish color. As older ducks, even when in eclipse plumage ("female coloring"), you can tell a male from a female that way.

This is one of my boys, Dexter, with two girls on either side of him...maybe 8-9 weeks old, I think.

Quacking is going to be your most reliable way to tell right now. I wouldn't give up hope until 6-7 weeks though. You might try carrying one of the cayugas away from the others and see if that makes him/her vocalize.
I've never been told this, but I suspect the ducks that are shipped to TSC are what is left after the hatchery has filled orders, which means there's probably a much higher ratio of boys to girls.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information! And I'll have to try that with the Cayugas. My Khaki already 'screams at me' if I leave her sight before handing out any pets. Lol.

Just an update. One of the Cayuga has a much earlier tone. And one of the Mallard has OrangeORANGE feet/legs while the other is not as bright. Still watching and waiting.

Just wondering if you know what they are now because I have one that looks exactly like that.

The color of the feet indicates nutrition consumption not gender.

The mallard/rune male will have a more raspy voice.
The female will be much notably higher pitch and quack faster.
At a young age they tend to be very difficult to tell.
Most breeders will put paint on the beaks to indicate gender.

The feet can change colors during seasons however the change should occur with both males and females to indicate they are healthy to breed.
So typically around winter they get bright orange.
I have heard people attribute it to hormones but I think it might have a blood circulation aspect.

Back
Top Bottom