Mallard hen or drake?

Ahhh such a hard decision!!! Should I wait it out and see how they act or do you think I should go ahead and get rid of one of them and keep 2 drakes with 5 hens or get rid of 2 and just keep my saxony drake with 6 hens? Why does this have to be hard!!! Grrrr but if it’s 3-6 per drake then I could also try to get rid of one drake and trade for a hen and then if 5 hens aren’t enough for 2 drakes then add one more and see if that helps and maybe get by with 3 hens per drake.
Obviously, your choice. But, since you asked, I kept two drakes and it turned out to be a mistake. Ducks have long memories and when I realized my mistake and switched to one, he never forgave the females who had been with the other boy. From March to October he had to be kept in drake jail or he bloodied their necks. I finally got rid of him and kept his son. Fingers crossed with him. So, if I were you, I would only keep one.

Obviously, your choice. But, since you asked, I kept two drakes and it turned out to be a mistake. Ducks have long memories and when I realized my mistake and switched to one, he never forgave the females who had been with the other boy. From March to October he had to be kept in drake jail or he bloodied their necks. I finally got rid of him and kept his son. Fingers crossed with him. So, if I were you, I would only keep one.
One of the drakes I would have to get rid of came to me at 3 weeks old and is attached to my black Swedish female. If I get rid of him will the female move on quickly and be ok?

I have a khaki drake I got at 8 days old and had 2 pekin hens. One died after digging out a penny
That left just the two of them till I hatched some babies of theirs. My drake is in love with his girl
He is very gentle to her. If she says no he leaves her be but he is very demanding of other girls and disregards a no from them
He also hates any other drake trying to mate he will attack them
He is my smallest duck but my most mighty
His offspring that are pekin x khaki drakes are also very gentle to their hatch mates ( sisters ) they won’t chase them down but if they get a chance to go after mom duck they will chase till they get her
I have no idea why they treat some so high and others so low
My two offspring will not jump in if the other is mating either they mind their own business

Dang it :( so now I have to get rid of one or two or change them out for females. The two I have left that I got from just a couple days old are both drakes. But the other drake I have that I got at 3 weeks old is super chill. Actually all the males are extremely chill so now it’s going to be hard to determine which ones have to go bc I don’t know if I can house anymore ducks in a 10x10 area. I have 7 right now (3 drakes and now 4 females)
That's funny, I have 4 drakes and 3 hens. I've already been thru this once by getting rid of 3 males. Then the new 4 were 2 and 2!! So I have 4 males now and 3 females. Wish I had all hens. But I love my firstbto big boys. Jumbo is a Rouen and he is his name!! Big!

Back
Top Bottom