Mallard issue

I am offering knowledge as one who has/does study the laws so as not to run afoul while pursuing my hobby. It is important to me to keep it all legal.
With regards to TSC-I purchased "mallards" from them once. I asked several times if the birds were "mallards" or "rouens." I was assured they were "mallards." I bought them and later found they were "rouens." I gave them away.
With regard to "how"-if TSC is actually selling "wild type" mallards without the proper marking-THAT IS A VIOLATION. However IMO, I doubt the Fed would care to go after TSC on that matter because it is highly unlikely TSC has people on the ground illegally collecting mallard eggs to sell them in the stores.
It is also unlikely the Fed would come to anyone's house to prosecute because they have 3 unmarked mallards purchased from TSC. It COULD happen though.
Once one has taken possession of the unmarked birds-the culpability/liability lies with the possessor-that is why it is important to know the law-nobody wants to "prove it in court"

If the birds in question are in fact "wild type mallards" and they are being sold in VIOLATION it would require a "whistle blower" to make the Fed aware. There is no standardized Federal inspection or oversight program for sellers that I am aware of. It is a "BUYER BEWARE" system.

Personally I won't buy birds from TSC-that's how I handle the situation.

In regards to RINGING the birds-I doubt you will be successful because the RINGS are one piece and must be slipped over the foot at a young age (4-6 weeks) for the bird to grow into the RING so it becomes un-removeable.

I have never tattooed birds. I have been told by people who have that it is difficult and may result in damage to the webbing if done improperly.
Hope this helps
It does and I agree with the understanding of what could come back and bite you later. I remember you from another thread a while back that was talking about the Migratory Birds Act and that is why I 'knew' you had the info, not just talking. It's a very sad thing when someone like ourselves, who want the birds for pets, eggs and meat, no thoughts of selling them, must go through these extremes to keep them. Myself, I try to be very conscientious in the care of my birds because of my love for them. This includes making sure they never want to leave and when not supervised, unable to do so. I understand the Law and can even say I understand why it was needed. Doesn't mean I have to like the hoops, just that I will jump through them so as not to ever have to worry about them, the Mallards, being removed or culled.

HUbby bought home replacement ducklings for child today-- we had a fine set of Swedish in the brooder. Look like Mallards to me. NOT PLEASED and disturbed by this discussion! I agree it is irresponsible of TSC. But, they were the only ones around with a nice selection of other breeds.....

I wont be marking or clipping any of mine and will find the receipt (we have 4)....

Actually if TSC would do the legally responsbile thing and remove the back toe/ mark their day old Mallards they are selling, people would actually know what they are getting!
BTW on another thread there is an OP who says if your ducklings have a double stripe (one accross and one below the eye) they are Rouen (which I would prefer) not Mallard (have one stripe accross the eye)-- any one heard of this before?

This is confusing, its our first year for ducks...

I was told by several local and state game officials (mind you I'm in TN though. lol), that a neighbor who had left his able to fly coming and going to the "nesting area made" was perfectly legal as long as birds weren't stopped from free flying, and only feds could confiscate and/or cull legally as per the migratory bird act, also applying to rock doves/pigeons technically,and any free flying flock of naturalized species. Also laws are funny supposedly as keeping birds outside were commercial ordinances and laws but kept inside fell under pet laws, except endangered species and some exotics. my buddy just turned his pigeons ducks ect loose and said "you catch em" while i stood there and tried not to laugh (I showed him when feeding how to signal to come in or scatter ect, so we whistled and they shot up and away). game warden then said "not my prob anymore" and showed us on paper the federal law over riding others. the warden did come by later and looked to make sure birds weren't confined again once or twice, said that "you know you are allowed to keep some of those inside as pets", just can't cage ect them outside, or clip their wings ect". dealers are allowed to sell illegal to general public animals. some have special permits, some have general ones covering most, some just don't care and lie or forge them. these legal places are not required to tell you its illegal or you need a permit in all or any areas. why would they??? they'd lose business (duh)!!! A local mall pet store routinely sells critically endangered tortoisee ect, and illegal and dangerously venomous animals at times even, and they just pay TWRA off (I've seen this were the owner pays the agents off and hands them a bunch of receipts, later exotic pets said to be seized from some locals possessing). I'm not a conspiracy nut, but do believe what I've come to see in person. so cover your butts.

Last edited:
Most states require a permit to be bought yearly in order to have pheasant/ mallards. They want to know how many you have and if you are using them for commercial or private use.
If it can be found in the wild chances are you need a permit. Always check with your Department of Natural Resources. Hatcheries and stores selling for hatcheries are not required to tell you if you need a permit. Always keep the receipt of your purchase in case a wild life officer has any questions. If your are not sure what permits you need and for what animals you need them for, check with your local DNR.

Actually if TSC would do the legally responsbile thing and remove the back toe/ mark their day old Mallards they are selling, people would actually know what they are getting!
BTW on another thread there is an OP who says if your ducklings have a double stripe (one accross and one below the eye) they are Rouen (which I would prefer) not Mallard (have one stripe accross the eye)-- any one heard of this before?

IMO-Two eye stripes, and purchased at TSC=Rouens.

I have had domestic mallards that were not marked and from a hatchery, and it never was a problem. It depends on where the hatchery was, and I think Florida is the only state where it's a problem to own mallards. Just clip the wings. It's not hard, you can use scissors and it doesn't hurt.

IMO-Two eye stripes, and purchased at TSC=Rouens.

You would be better off finding a breeder instead of going through a hatchery. You will get better quality and you know what you are getting. Beside 99.9% of people at feed store don't know any thing about any of the birds or regulations. The reason I brought up the Permit is because where I am the state requires me to have a permit for captive breed wild birds. I have some sites of breeders that you can get rouens through. I will find them and PM them to you.

Well, my Rouens had 1 stripe while the rest had 2.

Back
Top Bottom