Mallard mating question...

azure_

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
Western Massachusetts
So Mallards make seasonal bonds right? I'm so stupid. So does that mean that I should have one male for every female? Or two females to every male? I just want my Mallards ( when I get them) to have fertile eggs. I don't want to have over mates hens though... so?

So Mallards make seasonal bonds right? I'm so stupid. So does that mean that I should have one male for every female? Or two females to every male? I just want my Mallards ( when I get them) to have fertile eggs. I don't want to have over mates hens though... so?
depends how many boys you have. if you have just two, a drake and a hen, then a pair will work perfectly. if you have multiple drakes, they will fight over hens even if they each have atleast one.

Ok, but what do you think about 2 ducks to every 1 drake?
It’s best to have 2:1 so that the hens aren’t getting over bred. Drakes mate like crazy and honestly mate with anything they can. I’ve never seen a mallard drake that’s domesticated pick one specific female... maybe they do that in the wild where they know there’s slim pickings.

I did 4:1... all my eggs were fertile

It’s best to have 2:1 so that the hens aren’t getting over bred. Drakes mate like crazy and honestly mate with anything they can. I’ve never seen a mallard drake that’s domesticated pick one specific female... maybe they do that in the wild where they know there’s slim pickings.

I did 4:1... all my eggs were fertile
Ok thanks

Zero zip nada
do you want eggs? if not, i recommend just getting sexed males and keeping an all drake flock. in my opinion, they are easier to care for than girls, no risks of egg related issues/death, and get along perfectly if there is no girls. also, they are super sweet and loving to their humans.

if you do want eggs, just get one drake and the rest girls.

do you want eggs? if not, i recommend just getting sexed males and keeping an all drake flock. in my opinion, they are easier to care for than girls, no risks of egg related issues/death, and get along perfectly if there is no girls. also, they are super sweet and loving to their humans.

if you do want eggs, just get one drake and the rest girls.
Well I want fertile eggs

Back
Top Bottom