Mallard or Rouen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by megan chickens, Feb 24, 2017.

1. megan chickens

megan chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Hey everyone, so i got 2 ducklings from tractor supply the other day. I had no idea that rouen ducks looked just like mallard till now, I don't know what breed my ducklings are they where in the mixed breed and sex bin. I thought they where mallard but they might be rouen. Could some one help me identify them, i'm hoping they are mallards. I do know rouens have 2 lines on their face when they get older. One other question can you tell the sex by the quack? One duckling has a quiet and dull quack (boy?) the other one is loud and like a chicks (girl?).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  2. Spyderk117

Spyderk117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Looks like you have both. When they are 2 or 3 weeks old you will be able to tell by size. Rouens are bigger than Mallards. You won't be able to tell gender intell they are about 12 to 16 weeks old.

3. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    Both? How can you tell....

4. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I'm not sure what breed they are..... When they grow in the feathers right in front of their tails males will have most blackish feathers and females will have more lacing and color there. So you should know their gender from 4-6 weeks. ;)

5. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    thanks so much! I have only had peking ducks new to this breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by