Lilchknmomma

Songster
Aug 12, 2020
So i guessed it was a he when i got him. Hes my 1st duck and the person i got him from was pretty vague when giving him to me. I noticed his head has some green but ive read that doesn't always mean its a drake. This week I noticed his belly turning grey so im convinced hes maturing and getting in his grown up colors also flew a few feet across the yard today at 7weeks. Am I right? Is it a drake?? or did I label him too soon and he's a she??? lol Anyone with ducks know the breed? Would I be getting eggs from him?
20200813_100039_145.jpg
20200813_095703_483.jpg
20200813_095310_444.jpg
20200813_095618_337.jpg
My trusty google image search has me between ruen or mallard and i have no idea. Thanks for any input

i mean the color coming in near his beak, and his grey chest. hens do not get that. i did have a girl with a greenish head when she was young, but that looked different from this.

oh btw do you have rouens or mallards? the drake in your profile pic is super cute!
Thank you we have both. We started our little flock this spring with two wild Mallard hens from a private breeder. Then four weeks into it we added a batch of ten more, Rouen/Pekin/Mallard mix. They are turning into a very colorful bunch of ducks.

Big D in my avatar is 17 weeks old and starting to get if green head feathers. Here is a pic of his father. :)

Attachments

• Daddy Rouen.jpg
    Daddy Rouen.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 2
Hello and Welcome to BYC ! :celebrateBaby Howard is a she, your not the first to have trouble with identifying sex. Is she noisy? As for a Rouen or Mallard ? I still have trouble with that one myself ! :he Nice looking duck! :)

So i guessed it was a he when i got him. Hes my 1st duck and the person i got him from was pretty vague when giving him to me. I noticed his head has some green but ive read that doesn't always mean its a drake. This week I noticed his belly turning grey so im convinced hes maturing and getting in his grown up colors also flew a few feet across the yard today at 7weeks. Am I right? Is it a drake?? or did I label him too soon and he's a she??? lol Anyone with ducks know the breed? Would I be getting eggs from him?View attachment 2288407View attachment 2288408View attachment 2288409View attachment 2288410 My trusty google image search has me between ruen or mallard and i have no idea. Thanks for any input
I am only seeing one stripe.... Mallard Hen. :)

Back
Top Bottom