MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

I can't really tell what's growing in... and since they are still a little human wary - I can't easily pick them up and manhandle them.. The feathers that are currently molting the most seem to be the breast feathers, I believe those are the spotted/striped ones.. when I was watching them yesterday I notices tiny little feather on the underside of their wings, but I don't know if those are new feather - or just tiny old feathers! I have so much to learn!!
In a week or so I think you will know! The zebra stripe feathers are from the sides of the body, the chestnut brown are the breast. I don't know what the little feather is without looking at it. Have fun researching!

Okay, thanks. I have mallards, so I'm pretty familiar with them except for their egg laying. I'm wondering how prolific they are for laying, if they only lay for a couple months, or if they will keep laying an egg every day like my other domestic ducks. I can't wait to see their eggs.

My mallard was laying every other day during the summer. I took the eggs every day. She didn't seem to mind . and she was still laying eggs up until a couple weeks ago.

My mallard was laying every other day during the summer. I took the eggs every day. She didn't seem to mind . and she was still laying eggs up until a couple weeks ago.
Hello! I am a new duck momma to two 7month old drakes.. I know ducks love the rain.. but I get worried. Last night we had torrential downpours, thunder and lightening - and they would not go in their house. The just stand there bobbing around.. is this normal!? I imagine if it was too bad they would go inside... does anyone else have rain loving Mallards, and is this totally normal behavior? Thank you!

Hello! I am a new duck momma to two 7month old drakes.. I know ducks love the rain.. but I get worried. Last night we had torrential downpours, thunder and lightening - and they would not go in their house. The just stand there bobbing around.. is this normal!? I imagine if it was too bad they would go inside... does anyone else have rain loving Mallards, and is this totally normal behavior? Thank you!
Sounds normal to me! I even had one that would open his mouth and try to catch the water falling, especially from drips (or from shower heads, lol). Plus, when it rains, you get a duck's favorite thing - mud! Haha :)

Mine love the rain it makes the ground soft and my girl will have mud all over her head. She's so cute.

Mine love the rain it makes the ground soft and my girl will have mud all over her head. She's so cute.

Sounds normal to me! I even had one that would open his mouth and try to catch the water falling, especially from drips (or from shower heads, lol). Plus, when it rains, you get a duck's favorite thing - mud! Haha :)
Glad to know it's normal, whenever it rains I come outside the the biggest burrow holes ever in the hay and dirt! They love it.. I've been doing some gardening and making sure to toss the extra worms in their pen :) Here's a picture of my handsome boys Max and Shadow

Glad to know it's normal, whenever it rains I come outside the the biggest burrow holes ever in the hay and dirt! They love it.. I've been doing some gardening and making sure to toss the extra worms in their pen :) Here's a picture of my handsome boys Max and Shadow

Aww, lovely boys! Since we were talking about rain and mud, here's my Dexter with a mud mask on, hahaha.

They are cute! If you would post a picture of the mallard closer up, and maybe focused on the tail, I can give you a 75% accurate guess on the gender.
Here's some pictures! I'll have to take some news ones. They have already feathered out even more! Although he/she has feathered out on the head, right now looks female, but I know that will change if it is a drake. Theres a green sheen to the Black stripe. Not sure if thats a clue or just how the black shines.

Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom