MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Final count is seven babies. Three silver, three goldens and one black. It kills me that I can't cuddle them but their moms are doing a great job so far :)

So this baby was brought to me today. Apparently he was lost in the road. He is tiny! Could it be possible he was a runt and momma rejected him? I have 2 two month old Rouen ducks that hate him right now. Any suggestions on how to integrate them?Also is there any major differences raising a wild Mallard from a rouen?
[/IMG]

There are very big differences when dealing with amount of food but the diet is mainly the same , the best thing to do is to expose them to each other through some kind of fence where they can clearly see one another, keep them like this for a while , then expose all of them at the same time to a new and different environment this will cause them to band together and search the environment together.

What do runners have to do with the fact that it takes that long to be pure mallard ?
Well, if the theory that runners aren't pure mallard is true, a buff/mallard cross would never be pure because runners were a main ingredient for the Buff Orpington duck.

Final count is seven babies. Three silver, three goldens and one black. It kills me that I can't cuddle them but their moms are doing a great job so far
smile.png
They are so cute! That's awesome! And they are 3/4 mallard 1/4 runner right?

So this baby was brought to me today. Apparently he was lost in the road. He is tiny! Could it be possible he was a runt and momma rejected him? I have 2 two month old Rouen ducks that hate him right now. Any suggestions on how to integrate them?Also is there any major differences raising a wild Mallard from a rouen?
[/URL]
Adorable! I doubt he was rejected, he might have just gotten lost. I would wait a while to integrate him until he gets bigger, then as buff goose guy said put them in adjoining pens. I'm guessing since you raised the Rouens you have some duckling feed and a heat lamp?

What do runners have to do with the fact that it takes that long to be pure mallard ?
Well, if the theory that runners aren't pure mallard is true, a buff/mallard cross would never be pure because runners were a main ingredient for the Buff Orpington duck.
Final count is seven babies. Three silver, three goldens and one black. It kills me that I can't cuddle them but their moms are doing a great job so far :)
They are so cute! That's awesome! And they are 3/4 mallard 1/4 runner right?
LL
[/URL]
Adorable! I doubt he was rejected, he might have just gotten lost. I would wait a while to integrate him until he gets bigger, then as buff goose guy said put them in adjoining pens. I'm guessing since you raised the Rouens you have some duckling feed and a heat lamp?
That sounds right.

Back
Top Bottom