MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Hi all, I'm new here and was told this would be a good thread for asking my question/plea for help lol. :)
I'm trying to design a crochet mallard pattern. I want it to be fairly realistic but I'm having trouble finding helpful measurements for sizing. I know the general info that's posted on every site is that Mallards get to be about 26 inches and 3 pounds. But the more info I have the better and easier it will be for me in the design process.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
- if you own a Mallard (preferably male but female is ok too) can you share with me it's specific size (Length and Width of Head, Neck, Body, and Feet) and age. I would also accept general estimates if it's too difficult to measure. Measurements of total height width, and length are helpful too.
- point me towards any resources that might help.

THANK YOU so much! :)

Hi all, I'm new here and was told this would be a good thread for asking my question/plea for help lol.
smile.png

I'm trying to design a crochet mallard pattern. I want it to be fairly realistic but I'm having trouble finding helpful measurements for sizing. I know the general info that's posted on every site is that Mallards get to be about 26 inches and 3 pounds. But the more info I have the better and easier it will be for me in the design process.
HOW YOU CAN HELP:
- if you own a Mallard (preferably male but female is ok too) can you share with me it's specific size (Length and Width of Head, Neck, Body, and Feet) and age. I would also accept general estimates if it's too difficult to measure. Measurements of total height width, and length are helpful too.
- point me towards any resources that might help.

THANK YOU so much!
smile.png
Welcome! I would love to help you, but I'm afraid I don't have much accurate information. I do know that this winter one of my drakes weighed 2.54 pounds, which is a little chubby but not much. Afraid I don't have any idea on other measurements, and it would be difficult to do on a squirming duck.
hmm.png
Sorry I didn't help much!

Hi everyone! I'm afraid I have a similar situation to jleflufy.
Me and my other were woken this morning by a rather distressed sounding mallard momma, and upon looking out of the window we saw she had 6 ducklings with her, but wasn't moving anywhere. She must've been there for a good hour or so, so we decided to go see what was upsetting her. Turned out that she had lost one of her ducklings down a cattle grid, and wouldn't leave until she had it back. So we rescued the little soul and have it back to her, and she waddled off happily. We decided to double check there weren't anymore, and it turned out there were another two that just weren't making a sound. We managed to rescue both of those as well, but she completely refused one of them as it couldn't walk properly, and she waddled away from it.
Now I know it is illegal to take ducklings from the wild, but I couldn't leave it out there to die, it could only be a few days old. So we've taken it in, and it has had a good drink and a wash. I already have two Aylesbury ducks that I got as ducklings, but they weren't anywhere near as young as this little one is, so I am a bit worried as to the outlook for the little soul. I was hoping to be able to bring it on a be and release it back into the wild when it was big enough to fend for itself. The only problem I have is that I don't really have anywhere to put it. Well, one of my hens hatched two chicks on Friday, so I wondered if I could put it in with her so she could look after it? Would this work? Or would she just reject it? Can anyone suggest anything I can possibly do? Or am I fighting a lost cause here? It's just so small and helpless...I couldn't leave it out there to fend for itself :( any help is greatly appreciated!!

That is so sad. 

I'm not really sure what to do with him/her :(
I feel awful for taking it away from its mother, even though she abandoned it anyway. Not even completely sure how to look after the poor thing. It keeps crying and it tears me apart to hear it because I know there is nothing I can do. Can you suggest anything to perhaps help me make it more comfortable? I have seen a lot of people give their ducklings a cuddly toy for them to snuggle up to, but I don't have any which is why I have it the towel. Other than that I'm pretty stumped :/

I'm not really sure what to do with him/her
sad.png

I feel awful for taking it away from its mother, even though she abandoned it anyway. Not even completely sure how to look after the poor thing. It keeps crying and it tears me apart to hear it because I know there is nothing I can do. Can you suggest anything to perhaps help me make it more comfortable? I have seen a lot of people give their ducklings a cuddly toy for them to snuggle up to, but I don't have any which is why I have it the towel. Other than that I'm pretty stumped
hmm.png
The towel will work fine. Do you have a heat lamp you could use for him/her? It is the law you can't keep wild ducks even if they are abandoned which is pretty sad. Best bet is to bring him/her to a wildlife rehabber and you have the right to hold them for 24 hours so you can bring it to a rehabber.

Good luck!

The towel will work fine. Do you have a heat lamp you could use for him/her? It is the law you can't keep wild ducks even if they are abandoned which is pretty sad.  Best bet is to bring him/her to a wildlife rehabber and you have the right to hold them for 24 hours so you can bring it to a rehabber.

Good luck!

I currently have it in the brooder I use for my chicks, so it has an electric hen so to speak. But my chicks are due to hatch any day now which is making this even more stressful for me as you can imagine!
I will try and see if I can find a local wildlife rehabbed then, hopefully there is one nearby! Thanks for your help and reassurance.

Back
Top Bottom