MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics

I think I have a girl on my hands wt do u guys think?
Sorry, but it's nearly impossible to tell just by looking at that age. Both males and females will initially feather out the same, then a few months later the males will molt into their traditional plumage. In the next few weeks, however, their voices will start to change and you will definitely be able tell if it's a female or not. Below is a young female, one of the first few times she really "quacked" at me (the other ducks had gone inside and she ran away and then got upset because there were no other ducks around, lol...silly girl). If you hear this, it's a girl. If it sounds more quiet and raspy, it's a boy.
0.jpg

Meet my freshly hatched mallards! I have been raising mallards for about 3 years. I had 14 males and females at one time, but through giving away some and some predator loss, I was down to a male/female pair (Gertrude and Harold). Gertrude started laying in December (weird), and a couple of days after laying a complete clutch of 13 eggs, she unexpectedly died. Knowing that the easiest way to replenish the flock was to incubate Gertrude's eggs, I put them all in the incubator. Only 6 were fertile, and I am happy to say that I had a 100% hatch rate! All of them are healthy and I am happy that the flock lives on!

Meet my freshly hatched mallards! I have been raising mallards for about 3 years. I had 14 males and females at one time, but through giving away some and some predator loss, I was down to a male/female pair (Gertrude and Harold). Gertrude started laying in December (weird), and a couple of days after laying a complete clutch of 13 eggs, she unexpectedly died. Knowing that the easiest way to replenish the flock was to incubate Gertrude's eggs, I put them all in the incubator. Only 6 were fertile, and I am happy to say that I had a 100% hatch rate! All of them are healthy and I am happy that the flock lives on!
Sorry for your loss! :( But Congrats on the hatch rate!!!

Back
Top Bottom