MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics
She could, they have been laying in the hens nest box normally we get 2 duck eggs. One day we got three. The last few days we have only gotten 1 duck egg. I attributed that to the change in the weather. On the coldest day last week we didn't get any duck eggs.

Ya I hear that from a lot of ppl that they don't go far from the house and have hidden nests of eggs somewere if she is eatting and drinking I wouldn't worry but if it we re me I would want to find the nest lol ! I'm a curious person!

I just raised my first mallard this spring and no eggs so far. I live in northern Alberta and we are in full blown winter until May/June. Any idea if my gal will lay over the winter or should I expect nothing until the sun comes back and the pond thaws?

Quote:
Thanks, i will look for a nest. It can't be far. My backyard area around the coop is fenced. We love our ducks too. My 8 year old granddaughter gets excited every time she sees them flying around the yard. I was hoping for 1 Drake mainly because they are so colorful.

Last edited:
She is about 6 or 7 months old now.  I do not have any boys.
Also will she get lonely?

Yes u need another one they are very social animals need others to have a good life! Mine were born in april and just started laying sunday! I live in wisconsin so winter is here to but not as cold as it could be yet but I new mine were going to lay soon bc the boys started riding them about three weeks ago!

Quote:
Thanks, i will look for a nest. It can't be far. My backyard area around the coop is fenced. We love our ducks too. My 8 year old granddaughter gets excited every time she sees them flying around the yard. I was hoping for 1 Drake mainly because they are so colorful.
To bad u don't have a male then u could have babies!

Yes u need another one they are very social animals need others to have a good life! Mine were born in april and just started laying sunday! I live in wisconsin so winter is here to but not as cold as it could be yet but I new mine were going to lay soon bc the boys started riding them about three weeks ago!
We did have D's sister up until two weeks ago but we came home at dinner time and went to put them in the shed for the night......her sister was missing, we looked everywhere and no sign of tracks as it was snowing, just disappeared, we have no explanation as our Bernese keeps everything out of our fenced acreage that isn't part of "the family".

We bring D inside the house and put her in the kitchen for a visit because she is all alone now. She loves it (especially if we fill the bathtub for her!).
I am concerned that if we get another duck they will not get along as D is so sweet and very tame (I pat her and give her alot of attention. She greets me with a duckie dance and preens me!). Should I be worried about temperments clashing? Thanks!

We did have D's sister up until two weeks ago but we came home at dinner time and went to put them in the shed for the night......her sister was missing, we looked everywhere and no sign of tracks as it was snowing, just disappeared, we have no explanation as our Bernese keeps everything out of our fenced acreage that isn't part of "the family".

We bring D inside the house and put her in the kitchen for a visit because she is all alone now.  She loves it (especially if we fill the bathtub for her!). 
I am concerned that if we get another duck they will not get along as D is so sweet and very tame (I pat her and give her alot of attention. She greets me with a duckie dance and preens me!).  Should I be worried about temperments clashing?  Thanks!

They usually do very well it might take a few days but everyone gets along after that! Mallards are pretty tame ducks! Soory about ur sister duck my male mallard had a brpther that flew away and never came back I no how it feel waiting and hoping they come back!

Back
Top Bottom