MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Very beautiful waterfowl, thankyou for sharing the photos. He looks like he would be a good flyer with his racy build, what exactly do you call that colour pattern in the Netherlands?

Thank you this guy always makes me chuckle because he looks so funny. I'm not sure about duck colours or breeds but I think he should be a brown white-chest, but the white is everywhere. The girl in the back has the same dark colour and a small white chest. All the "wild" ducks from the ditch have this build but they have a lot of different colours (probably from breeding with domesticated breeds).

Here's a picture of a brown white-chest call duck: http://www.watervogels.com/watervogels/Fotos_Rassen_en_kleurslagen/Paginas/Kwakertjes.html#40

My Metzer Farms Mallard hen, she's about 4 months old now, her sister flew away a month ago, but this one prefers to stay home, she is a good flyer, but not as good as her sister was.
She's a very large duck, and though she can fly fairly well, she's to big to easily gain altitude.

She's darn near but not quite rouen sized, but still retains the racy mallard physique. Will breed her to a smaller mallard colored drake next year and have some nice domesticated flying mallards.
big_smile.png

She has a super cute face omg. My mallards fly too, sadly 2 of them have left but I hope they're happy!

Thank you this guy always makes me chuckle because he looks so funny. I'm not sure about duck colours or breeds but I think he should be a brown white-chest, but the white is everywhere. The girl in the back has the same dark colour and a small white chest. All the "wild" ducks from the ditch have this build but they have a lot of different colours (probably from breeding with domesticated breeds).

Here's a picture of a brown white-chest call duck: http://www.watervogels.com/watervogels/Fotos_Rassen_en_kleurslagen/Paginas/Kwakertjes.html#40

Thankyou for the link, lots of very beautiful photographs of call ducks.

My Metzer Farms Mallard hen, she's about 4 months old now, her sister flew away a month ago, but this one prefers to stay home, she is a good flyer, but not as good as her sister was.
She's a very large duck, and though she can fly fairly well, she's to big to easily gain altitude.

She's darn near but not quite rouen sized, but still retains the racy mallard physique. Will breed her to
a smaller mallard colored drake next year and have some nice domesticated flying mallards. :D.

Here's my little Mallard colored drake I'm going to pen with my Metzer Farms Mallard hen with, will have me some flying Mallards next year! Of course they won't be wild Mallards, but they will sure look like wild Mallards.

Do you have a pond or something nearby that they left? I have 3 mallards but I only let them fly when I am with them, otherwise they are in a covered yard.

When they were around 6 weeks they didn't want to be penned up anymore so I let them out and they would search food in the ditch at night. There's a lot of ditches and a small lake too. At night they fly off to find food, I don't know where.

All my girls visit me but the boys don't come anymore (I don't even know what they look like, they were girly when they left). Maybe they went to find a girlfriend?

The girls don't seem to interact with the other ducks in the ditch, although there is a drake interested in them. But he can't fly. My girls love to fly

Here's Wingless from his bad side.

When they were around 6 weeks they didn't want to be penned up anymore so I let them out and they would search food in the ditch at night. There's a lot of ditches and a small lake too. At night they fly off to find food, I don't know where.

All my girls visit me but the boys don't come anymore (I don't even know what they look like, they were girly when they left). Maybe they went to find a girlfriend?

The girls don't seem to interact with the other ducks in the ditch, although there is a drake interested in them. But he can't fly. My girls love to fly

Here's Wingless from his bad side.
They are beautiful! So if I keep them penned in except when I take them foraging around the yard with short flights, they won't leave will they? They are fed every day. What is wrong with Wingless, he looks like he has a wing?

They are beautiful! So if I keep them penned in except when I take them foraging around the yard with short flights, they won't leave will they? They are fed every day. What is wrong with Wingless, he looks like he has a wing?

Thank you!

I don't know, I let my ducks go free because they got really unhappy in a pen. And there aren't really any dangers for them around. If you don't want to risk them fly off you'll probably have to clip their flight feathers. I believe they can still fly a little if you do it on both sides. My ducks would probably be upset if I did that...

Wingless has a deformed wing, it's much shorter than his normal wing. He's had that for a long time but he still tries to fly sometimes. He's made some painful looking crashes that way. But he's super sweet and adorable! My dad even made a duck stairs for him so he can get in the backyard.

Thank you!

I don't know, I let my ducks go free because they got really unhappy in a pen. And there aren't really any dangers for them around. If you don't want to risk them fly off you'll probably have to clip their flight feathers. I believe they can still fly a little if you do it on both sides. My ducks would probably be upset if I did that...

Wingless has a deformed wing, it's much shorter than his normal wing. He's had that for a long time but he still tries to fly sometimes. He's made some painful looking crashes that way. But he's super sweet and adorable! My dad even made a duck stairs for him so he can get in the backyard.
Okay thanks. I think all my ducks are satisfied in their outdoor pen, they have a net over the top and lots of plants to eat. I would feel kind of bad clipping their feathers too. Thats nice you made your yard handicap accessible.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom