Mallard x Buff Orpington Hybrid

They are beautiful and we enjoy them; however city zoning limits my flock size. We must part with all the males...one of them is so quiet he mews. The females are vocal and fly across our yard every time they run as a group. They have shed enough feathers to make a pillow.

I would love to see more photos of your flock...did you also start with a mallard/rouen and a buff for your flock? Ours was a surprise flock.

They are beautiful and we enjoy them; however city zoning limits my flock size. We must part with all the males...one of them is so quiet he mews. The females are vocal and fly across our yard every time they run as a group. They have shed enough feathers to make a pillow.

I would love to see more photos of your flock...did you also start with a mallard/rouen and a buff for your flock? Ours was a surprise flock.
Ah too bad. Your drakes don't fly? My drake seems to enjoy flying a lot more than she does.

I took some tonight, busy weekend so next week I'll probably upload them. I have a few other ducks too.

Hello Potatowaffles,
Our group comes out of the Juniper bushes daily and spends most of their time drilling holes and foraging for bugs. They announce their presence for breakfast and dinner, but prefer to stay under cover during the heat of the day and at night. We try to coral them into their pen and coop, but they all run towards the bushes to sleep so we let them be for now. As the night temperatures drop, I will block their access to the junipers a herd them into the coop for safety.

I am searching for home for the males (chocolate colored ones); we are over our limit for poultry.

I could be wrong, but if you breed a Buff male to a Rouen female, wouldn't the buff offspring be the females and the blue ones the males?

They have shed so many feathers, I could rake my yard and make a few pillows. Even the wild birds dont take enough to make a dent. They look so different from a few weeks ago.

Their Mallard/Rouen mom is off guarding three 2-week old ducklings (she sat on the Pekin's eggs). The Pekin tends to hang with the now grown up Rouen x Buff crosses. I am searching for a home/homes for all the males and a few of the females to bring us back down to 6 females in total.

Last edited:
They females can get several feet off the ground for a good distance; the males are not as graceful, but have also started trying to fly.

Last edited:
Here are mine now. Sadly, a neighbour's loose dog broke into my yard and got Sterling, she was the smallest. Bruiser, Nibbles, and Tellie are left.

Even though they looked different as ducklings, they all ended up with the bib, they're the size of their buff father, lay eggs like those of their snowy mallard mother, and they can fly like their mother.

It's still hard to get a picture of them.

This isn't giving me an option to post pictures.

Here are mine now. Sadly, a neighbour's loose dog broke into my yard and got Sterling, she was the smallest. Bruiser, Nibbles, and Tellie are left.

Even though they looked different as ducklings, they all ended up with the bib, they're the size of their buff father, lay eggs like those of their snowy mallard mother, and they can fly like their mother.

It's still hard to get a picture of them.

This isn't giving me an option to post pictures.
Sorry to heat that!
sad.png
That's interesting, when you can get a picture please post it!

There we go.

Nibbles and Tellie

Tellie hanging around the mud pit they dug during the floods.

Back
Top Bottom