Malposition hatch..........what to do now??

boilermom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 16, 2014
hello there!

i am currently attempting to hatch 5 eggs. 2 are due tomorrow and 3 on saturday. i went to check my humidity this morning at 4 am and noticed a small pip in one of my bantam eggs. unfortunately, the pip was below where the anticipated air cell remained. i went ahead and just slightly helped this little chick peel away a small part of the shell and membrane so she could have an adequate airway. i increased the humidity and also placed her on a wet towel. i also applied a small amount of triple antibiotic ointment to the membrane to keep it moist. i have been closely monitoring her since she pipped below the air cell and by 3 pm she had not made any progress. i went ahead and helped her remove some more shell and membrane without difficulty and i really did not come across any bleeding. i put her back and around 530 i removed a bit more of the shell and membrane without difficulty and placed her back in the bator again. now, what do i do. i would absolutely love for her to do the rest of the hatch on her own, however since she is in the wrong position, im afraid she is going to have trouble. i have attached a few photos, one from the 3 pm assist and one just taken. how much longer would you give her before assisting again. thank you so much.

she first pipped sometime between 10 pm and 4 am this moring............so at least 17 hours ago. ive read that link several times, just wasnt quite sure since this hatching is out of the ordinary with her pipping below the air cell. she really has not done anything more on her own, that is why after 12 hours i assisted her a bit. im afraid the malposition is making it difficult for her to more around and zip appropriately. just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or can give me some advice by looking at her membrane. thank you!

Boilermom, sorry you are having trouble. I got a question, what type incubator are you using that allows you to open it during the hatching/lock down--at will, as often as you want and does not affect the "hatch" by doing this?

i have a brinsea mini. this is my only egg that has pipped thus far and ive only opened the bator 4 times in the past 24 hours to assist my chick. i have the humidity cranked high and my husband has been helping me lift the lid so we prevent as much moisture loss as possible.

I've never hatched an egg, but I read that whole help tutorial -- so very informative. But in comparing her pictures to yours -- I'd say wait. She has access to air and the membrane on your chicky still looks too "wet". Patience I think. Hope that helped a little. Hang in there chicken momma!

i have a brinsea mini. this is my only egg that has pipped thus far and ive only opened the bator 4 times in the past 24 hours to assist my chick. i have the humidity cranked high and my husband has been helping me lift the lid so we prevent as much moisture loss as possible.
I understand you are trying to help the chick and I am posting this info to try to help you have a better hatch. This is a copy from the Brinsea web page

""""Try to avoid the temptation of opening the incubator too often when chicks are emerging to maintain high RH levels"""

In my Opinion 1 time is one time to many, But I know its your Incubator---so you can open it as often as you want. Wishing you a full hatch!

Last edited:
I've never hatched an egg, but I read that whole help tutorial -- so very informative. But in comparing her pictures to yours -- I'd say wait. She has access to air and the membrane on your chicky still looks too "wet". Patience I think. Hope that helped a little. Hang in there chicken momma!
I have had them to pip on day 20 and not do nothing else for over 48 hours-----when I open the hatcher to remove the hatched ones I break them out and Most all survive. Patience for sure is the best!

thank you everyone for your advice and comments! i woke up at 2 am to check on the little one and this is what i found!!!!! the chick is thriving and peeping well. i took her to the brooder this morning because she was "playing soccer" with my other eggs, two of which have pipped and i hear and see movement! yaayyy! i 110% percent agree with waiting and allowing chicks to hatch on their own, however i do know there are some situations in which assistance is needed.....and this was one of them. this sweet chick was not making any progress on its own, im guessing due to malpositioning. slow, slow, slow and lots of patience was the key. before i went to bed, i went ahead and "zipped" her all around the shell, leaving the membranes both intact though. i did this with her on a warm, wet washcloth and definitely did not rush the peeling process. i then applied some triple antibiotic ointment after gently getting the membrane wet to keep it moist. i set my alarm for 2 and when i check on the chick, she was out with the entire yolk sac absorbed. wonderful experience and i truly am so grateful for all the people on this forum and their kindness, support, and encouragement through sharing experiences and giving advice. God Bless you all!!!!

Back
Top Bottom