Malpositioned duckling?

Dec 29, 2019
Hey y’all, it’s been awhile. Once again I have a question regarding a hatching duckling. Here’s some background:

My duck was sitting on some eggs for around two weeks when we decided we had to move her due to other unrelated issues. I put the duck eggs in an incubator but unfortunately the weekend I assumed they would hatch I was out of town and arrived home yesterday to one piped egg. As I was un sure how long it had been since the pip I took away a little more shell than I probably should have so that I could get a read on the situation. I also added some vaseline as it seemed the membrane was drying out quite a bit (was adding vaseline the right thing to do?). After looking some more today I started wondering if the duck is malpositioned. Am I right to be concerned or has it just been so long since I’ve hatched eggs that I’ve forgotten what it’s supposed to look like?

ps- the other eggs have also piped as of this morning.

image.jpg

The pink to the upper left of the hole is its foot

It does appear that they have an unabsorbed yolk sack though. I’ll gladly accept any advice on that.
For that, put the duckling in a small container, like a cup or similar, lined with soft fabric. Keep it in the incubator if possible, until the yolk is absorbed.

Back
Top Bottom