Malpositioned Peachick

KsKingBee

Free Ranging
10 Years
Sep 29, 2013
The Scenic Flint Hills of Kansas
Here is a peachick that was due on 5-17-15, I was going to throw out the eggs that did not hatch on 5-20-15 and noticed that this egg appeared to have pipped internally so I put it back into the hatcher and waited until the next day. On 5-22-15, day 32 on the hatch cycle I opened the egg and found this;

A breathing chick with its wing over its head unable to peck its way out. I removed more shell;

I removed even more until a drop of blood appeared.

I put the chick back in the hatcher and came back a few hours later and removed the wing from the egg.

I think it was happy to see me.

It was in a hurry to get out, but it really needed to absorb all the blood it could first so I put it back into the hatcher again for a few hours.

When it came out of the hatcher it was evident it had more problems.

Not only were the toes curled, it was splayed too.

I made some shoes.

Then put it in a tube from a sock.

And doubled it over.

And removed my hand keeping the legs in position.

Then taped both ends snug.

Put it in a basket to keep it upright and put it back in the hatcher overnight.

The next day, day 33 I took it out and removed the tube and shoes. Still not good.

One foot was better, but the other was not, it was less splayed but the foot turned in.

I made heavier shoes to go up the ankle to straighten the foot.

It still didn't work like I wanted it to.

By now I am getting worried that the chick was not getting enough nourishment because the other nestmates which are way larger than this one are running over it in the brooder. I started tube feeding it and tried new shoes again.

I don't think I am supposed to save this one, but I keep trying. It is eating and drinking on its own now and getting around pretty well. The other chicks in this picture hatched out on time and are nestmates.

They say the Lord watches over children and fools. I guess it is for the best as the feet were not going to be right even with all the work I did to save them. This is a testament for not trying to 'save' the weak ones. This morning the little chicks feet and legs were looking much better although it looked weak, so I tube fed it again. I aspirated it, and it died, that is what I get for meddling with nature. I also need to get a FR 8 catheter as the FR 10 was too big.

I am so sorry. I can never help meddling. For the record, that amount of blood is not a problem and he could be opened immediatedly. They always have a small amount. Also, if and that's a big if, you ever meddle again, most likely assist a little sooner. I am an expert any more with assists but it took a long time and a steep learning curve and each type of bird is a bit different too, another learning curve. It's definitely not for everyone.

That extra several days of being stuck was bad on the legs. He must have been a fighter though to have lived in the shell as long as he did so you just tried to help him fight, don't feel bad! :(

Thanks for posting this.

I am so sorry. I can never help meddling. For the record, that amount of blood is not a problem and he could be opened immediatedly. They always have a small amount. Also, if and that's a big if, you ever meddle again, most likely assist a little sooner. I am an expert any more with assists but it took a long time and a steep learning curve and each type of bird is a bit different too, another learning curve. It's definitely not for everyone.

That extra several days of being stuck was bad on the legs. He must have been a fighter though to have lived in the shell as long as he did so you just tried to help him fight, don't feel bad!
sad.png

Thanks for posting this.

I was hoping to get it strong enough to rehome it with this gal named Jill, I think she is the patron saint of lost causes like St. Jude.

KsKingBee,,DO NOT stop helping peas. I'm not going to get "churchy" here but without humans peacocks would not be in as high of numbers or with as many colors as there are. Granted one mistake was made that caused the chick to expire but had that not occured and you wouldn't have tried to straighten the feet and legs or help it from the shell, the peachick would have died days before. You could consider this peachick as a knowledge base builder for yourself. You gained experience on helping it out of the shell,,fixing toes and splayed legs as well as keeping it alive for days,when in all reality it should have died being in the egg 32 days instead of 26-28 days.

Next weekend will be my first hatch for the year and anxiety always is present. Now factor in that I've re-instated my union card and will not be home as soon each day and be able to put in as much time during hatching as in the past 3 years. If I have troubles the cures must be done in the evenings and very early morning before I leave for the day. My wife will be here but she is clueless when it comes to pea hatching and the issues that comes up. But this too is why I always have scheduled eggs to hatch on the weekends and I should be home for hatchings.

KsKingBee,, one more thing to add. There was a very, very heated discussion on facebook this week about fixing splayed legs and curled toes. One man from kentucky insisted both these issues are caused by malnutrition and genetics and all peas with these issues should be culled immediatedly. I stood my ground without much backing that this is mainly caused by the peachick taking too long to hatch after pipping. That was until AugerEdIn stepped in and supported me. The picture of your group of healthy peachicks above proves to me that my research is correct that the bones starts to harden once outside air enters the peachicks lungs and we have 24 hours or so to get the chick out of the shell. Granted malnutrition can cause many issues but just as in your case here that chick went waay to long to emerge.

For me, if everything else has hatched, I only go about 6 hours or less before I start looking at the random odd ones ones that have not. I waited overnight too many times and found them dead in shell when I KNEW they were alive night before. :(

Back
Top Bottom