Mama and her new chicks...ADVICE PLEASE.

Thank you for your advice. I'm pretty protective, but also confused with the other info I've read about integrating them into the flock. Many advise to let them go after 7-10 days and the mama's natural protective hormonal surge will do the job. After all, chickens have survived thousands of years without human's help. Being so excited that this darling golden fluff ball is healthy and depending on mom, thought I'd give her a chance. But, mom was probably on the bottom of the pecking order in the first place and doesn't have the confidence to protect. Think I'll do what you say and keep them protected for a bit longer, and supervise outings:)

I need help! 15 hens, 2 roosters, including a broody Frizzle who hatched a chick on 10/14. We created a fenced in area in the coop for mama/baby to keep safe. I've let mama out with her chick a couple times, but only to wander in the coop for 5 min. Today, I let her and chick out to mingle with rest of flock. Other hens pecked at her face, and chick. Mama cowered and didn't try to protect the chick. Guess I should keep her secluded for longer? If she doesn't have the protective hormones flowing at 10 days, will she ever? I'm sure this is a scenario someone on this site can relate to. Any suggestions?
I'm continuing my story from above and need additional advice. So far mama and chick are doing well with flock. But, tonight I went to close coop door at 5:30, and mama decided to roost with other hens and leave (3.5 wk old) baby crying on floor. The chick is not feathered, so I put mama and chick back in separate pen for night. Is this normal for mama's to abandon baby so young? I do not have a heat source in coop at this time. I can plug one in, but was hoping to not add that danger.

She was probably not abandoning the chick, but probably wondering why it wasn't following her? I don't know how she was acting. If it were me, I would pen them together still, I did for a while with my mama and her chicks and she is the best mother to them! Even though they are bigger they still sleep under her wings at night!

We have had several broody mamas. I agree with keeping them separate from the flock. Depending on their personality and pecking order, they vary on how "protective" they are. Keep in mind that the flock will want to establish pecking order with the addition of any newbie, which can be stressful. We confine our mama and chicks close to the flock but separate until at least a month. Then, I follow mama's lead.

As with all mothers, your little mama needs to be supported to be the best mom she can be. Just because she could not handle the aggressiveness of the flock does not mean she is a bad mother. ;)

Thank you! The Frizzle mama is tending to her chick today, so you're right, she didn't abandon for good, just for a good night's sleep on the perch.

Of course I'm panicking with every new situation. I thought I knew a lot about chickens, but until now, I wasn't aware of various things that can happen when hens are raising their own chicks......and several at different stages. I had chickens for many years in the city, but no roosters. Yesterday, there was a dead chick under another hen, due to a dry membrane. That was new to me.

Our coop is large (interior 7' X 14'), 8 nesting boxes, and 2 long roosts with poop trays under them. But, I didn't plan for separate pens to house chicks, ugh! We added one ground level, under one poop tray that is 74" X 21". Currently, trying to figure out how to add another with heat (if needed).

I do think that if any more hens become broody this winter, I'm removing the eggs immediately:))

Back
Top Bottom