Mama and puppies, QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those articles lead me to believe that the animals were already selected by individuals for adoption. The shelters were there for quarantine time, not to have the dogs there for adoption to the public.

Quote:
I think most people will find that with the better quality of feed, that even tho you pay more for the bag, they as a rule will eat less of it. My 80 pound husky mix eats 3 cups of Taste of the Wild everyday compared to the 5 or 6 cups she ate of her previous food. She's going thru less food and I'm paying out less now than I was before.

Not in my experience they don't. My dog ate pedigree before I got her on blue buffalo. She ate a cup of it a day then. she still eats a cup a day now. She'd probably pig out on the food if I let her.

Same thing with the dog had previously. He ate grade quality dog food I used to get at the local farm and home store. Did just fine on it. Was in great condition. Tried the other stuff,a nd he still ate the same amount.

It really shouldn't matter what you feed your dog as long as they are healthy and you can afford it. Most don't feed the expensive stuff because its pretty much unaffordable.

Better diets are more digestible. The quality of protein is better utilized by the dog and therefore there is fewer health problems and often less stool. Better foods (especially no grain diets) are often more expensive (I pay $51 for 28 lbs of EVO--sheesh!) BUT my dogs are in excellent health, have gorgeous skin and coats, and great attitudes. It is true they can and do get along fairly well on some other diets but long term health is my goal for all my pets. I finally started eating better myself (still not as good as my dogs, LOL) and my nails have never been as strong or looked better!
clap.gif

Quote:
If you do some searching on the net you will find articles where the dogs imported carried rabies. one of them did adopt out a sick dog to someone. Can't remember where it went, but it did happen.

The stuid spay and neuter laws are so sucessful out west in states like CA, that they are desperate for dogs. Otherwise they close their doors. They want to meet demand, so they get them from mexico and puerto rico. Then adopt them out to the public. Basically they are operating like pet shops. Supply and demand= money. The thing is they do that, yet there are plenty of dogs in the midwest and southern states that are getting killed right away.

Quote:
Both of the articles you provided stated "animal shelters" but if you read further into the subject. These are private, no-kill shelters doing this and private owners. Look at the incident report for imported illness, they were all listed private owners. Most no-kill shelters aren't any better than kill shelters or puppy dealers. I have volunteered and worked in and around the local humane society and animal control, puppies are fostered by families until they find a home or after a couple of months of trying for adoption, they are euthanised. No-kill shelters, to which I am also familiar with firsthand, travel around to the kill shelters pick up the "cute" and "purebred" puppies and then SELL them for high adoption fees $100+. Oh, and you want to know the dirty secret of no kill shelters? Animals deemed unworthy for adoption are euthanized or dropped of at kill shelters to be killed.

Take the dam to the animal shelter? See, that doesn't make sense to me. Because the dam is an animal killer, underweight, and an adult; her chances for adoption are next to zero. At least being rehomed with through the owner, the owner can explain to potential adopters that she is very prey driven.

I did not preach to the OP, even stated in my post I wasn't going to preach because the puppies were already here.

Chickerdoodle, not entirely true. I have to mix in grade quality tsc tractor supply retriever dog food with the blue buffalo, because my dog gets dihrea on it if I don't. That is the only high quality dog food I can find that doesn't give her skin infections. Mixing in the lesser quality food has given her more solid stools. She gets the fish formula with beef flavered retreiver. Retriever has corn in it. I was told by someone who went to college and studied animal nutrition to become avet tech that some of the fillers aren't all that bad. Foods like science diet are not all that bad, otherwise vets would not prrescribe nor sell it.

a lot of those high quality foods do not work out for some dogs. Its kind of a what works for you, doesn't work for me thing.

My first dog lived to the ripe old age of 13. She got so she wouldn't eat anything but pedigree. My vet told me it was a good dog food. Same with my second dog. He got hit by a car when he was 4 years old. Still, he was nice and healthy on the family ration dog food he was eating. It was some bacon flavored, filler food filled stuff. Third dog is being fed the mixture. She is fine. I bet she woul dbe just fine I switched her down to eating nothing but the $4 tsc tractor supply stuff.

Quote:
She never bothered my neighbor's chickens before. It was up until one day she went into the brooder box and ate my 7 chicks is when she gone "CRAZY"

chickerdoodle
Today 4:59 am
Please find them all a home--including the mom. It is less expensive to spay your pets than allow them to breed. Animals need to be treated humanely by giving clear directions so they understand what you want and not by throwing across a room and beating with a broom. Dogs need mental and physical stimulation as well as affection and when they do not have that they do things like jumping over fences and escaping. Not trying to be mean but it seems she is not the right dog for you or your family.

We are not keeping any of them. We thought of keeping 1 but decided against it. I didn't pull out the broom and toss her down the hall at first. I pulled her back and told her no, even swat her butt when she went at it again. I kept doing that for a while until there was no breaking her focus off them then took the broom out and swat her (not beat her) and it was more of a push that slid her down the hallway. Not even a chain can keep this dog at bay, she has chewed through every known dog chain.

aggieterpkatie
Today 8:52 am A quick google search provides lots of information about feeding nursing grump.

You'll find info explaining that nursing grump need to be fed frequent meals, and needs to eat AT LEAST twice the food she was eating before. She should not be skin and bones. They can't get all the nutrition out of just 2 meals....it should really at least 4 meals per day.

Let me repeat myself, she got 2 science diets a day but I also have another bowl of food that is NEVER EMPTY for her of regular dog food. If it goes empty, it is refilled. I don't normally do that with dogs but I did it with her to add more feed to her.​

My input is on the "training" given. Dogs do not speak English but can learn individual command words after they are given clear instructions and praised or given a treat when they get it right. You need to train so a DOG can understand. This does not appear to be what happened. Swatting, using the word "no" is not clear--its just punishment and she doesn't know why you are doing that. All she may think "no" means is she is going to get swatted. Pretend she speaks Chinese. She cannot understand your words at all but can taught one word at a time by repeating it and rewarding her IMMEDIATELY with a treat or praise when she changes what she is doing because of the word. For example -"sit" is taught with a food lure and makes it easy for her to do it. Praise, praise when she does it right, not hit or swat only when she is not doing what you want. She is confused and rightfully so. Check out a book in the library by Dr. Patrica McConnell and start with "The Other End of the Leash."
smile.png

Kim, yu are right about the mom. Wrong about the puppies. Those pups will only end up dead, along with the mom. However, if the mom was mine, Id either keep her and if she she was really bad at killing animals, take her to the pound. Few dogs that kill other animals are not worth keeping around. Giving them away could be disasterous. They could get lose and start killing someone elses livestock. If he/she took those pups to the pound they have a pretty good chance of ending up dead. esp if there was a lot of them. They'd pick the most adoptable one, and kill the rest. I know because I have known people that worked in the shelter system. Most shelters kill a lot of dogs. He/she would be better off advertising the pups for free in the paper, or with a small fee. They have a better chance of finding a good home that way, instead of being taken to the animal shelter and filtered off into the so called pet population, or killed.

But again, its their dogs. their business what they do with them.

Quote:
This is right i work for a no kill shelter and we do on occasion pull a dog from a kill shelter for another rescue shelter (No Kill) if they are in a different state. we also pull dogs for people that live in Canada and arrange for their transport. here in the south there are a lot of dogs in Shelters but up on the NE there isnt so on occasion no kill rescues take 30 or more dogs up there and they are for adoption up there since there is way less dogs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom