Mama duck and her duckling

Awww. I live in San Diego and we had a wild mallard hatch out some ducklings right in the middle of the coldest night of the year. The ducklings survived several freezing cold nights until predators got them all. So ducklings must be hardier when it comes to cold weather than I previously thought. I think as long as mama is keeping him warm when it is needed, he should do fine.

Thanks for the update and I am so glad their both doing good. He's getting so big and Momma standing right there with him that's good. She did a great job raising that little one.

I lock them in the coop at night to stop wild or stay animals from getting to them. She is a great mama she has shower her how to root and where the food and water is, they even went for a dip in the pond for a few mins yesterday. We let them have full range of the back yard and they went on an adventure. I even brought the baby inside with her sister and they had some quality time while mama and daddy had some time together. As long as i am the one to pick the duckling up mama is fine and dosnt go crazy.

I'm glad you lock them up the predators would get this little one in no time. She's a great mom and most pekins don't go broody at all. You've got a great momma duck.

Thank! I hope this was a one time thing. I wont have the heart to take her eggs if she is broody from now on and we have a limit one how many animals we can have cause we are in town. And i think 3 females and 1 male is a sufficient amount for us right now.

You just have to collect the eggs everyday. Hopefully she won't go broody if she doesn't have any eggs.

Back
Top Bottom