Mama fox and how to protect my flock?

Chickycammy

Songster
6 Years
Feb 15, 2018
North Carolina
Sadly, we had a fox move in close to us. Last night she got into the coop while the chickens were sleeping and killed my favorite hen. Thankfully the rooster was able to chase her off.

While reviewing the security video we saw that the fox had clear tits, she must have some babies around and is needing to feed them. While we can't trap her without knowing where the kits are, we need to protect the flock.

My mom had the idea to put out liver near the end of our yard away from the chickens coops and see if the fox will eat it and not go after the chickens. Yet, my husband doesn't want us to feed her as she might keep coming back.

Any ideas on what we can do? We moved the coops closer to the house and in the light but that might not keep a hungry fox with kits to feed away.

She will keep coming back regardless. She knows there is food in the chicken coop and she will not stop until all your chickens are gone. Do you know how she got in, and can you secure the coop so she can't get back in?
I'd shoot her, kits are not. I've dealt with enough fox problems to be that cold hearted.

She will keep coming back regardless. She knows there is food in the chicken coop and she will not stop until all your chickens are gone. Do you know how she got in, and can you secure the coop so she can't get back in?
I'd shoot her, kits are not. I've dealt with enough fox problems to be that cold hearted.

She ate a hole in the side of the window we made for sunlight and got in there. The rooster by the video did some damage to her and he's not hurt but was covered in blood.

We fixed where she got in but we have a smaller coop that we need to fix that we keep younger chicks between 5 to 10 weeks in. She dug around it before trying for the other coop. So we plan on either moving it after he's off work or digging around it and adding rocks and then covering the rocks with sand so she can't get in.

Back
Top Bottom