Mama got up!!!

I have a buff who decided to go broody about six days ago, she has 13 eggs and she will sit without eating or drinking at all unless I make her go out once a day to eat ect. But she will only stay out for about five minutes. It seems like whenever she comes back in I have to help her get all the eggs under her or she will have one or two that are not under.... Does she just have too many eggs? Did your buff struggle with keeping everyone under? She is a first timer so maybe she just needs to learn?? She's not small so I don't see why she would struggle with this. Thanks

I have a buff who decided to go broody about six days ago, she has 13 eggs and she will sit without eating or drinking at all unless I make her go out once a day to eat ect. But she will only stay out for about five minutes. It seems like whenever she comes back in I have to help her get all the eggs under her or she will have one or two that are not under.... Does she just have too many eggs? Did your buff struggle with keeping everyone under? She is a first timer so maybe she just needs to learn?? She's not small so I don't see why she would struggle with this. Thanks

Mine did have too many when she went broody. I'd say any more than 12 eggs is too much. I'm not sure if your's needs to learn. Mine definitely had a hard time. I hope yours is doing well now. I know sometimes if there is a problem with the egg the broody mama will push it out of the nest. So keep a look out for that. She may be trying to push them out. I hope this helped.

Mine did have too many when she went broody. I'd say any more than 12 eggs is too much. I'm not sure if your's needs to learn. Mine definitely had a hard time. I hope yours is doing well now. I know sometimes if there is a problem with the egg the broody mama will push it out of the nest. So keep a look out for that. She may be trying to push them out. I hope this helped.

Thanks! I think she is getting a hang of it now! I went in to shut everyone in the house and she had EVERYONE tucked safely away:) I think some may eggs have suffered from her learning experience but it's her first time so...what ya ganna do. I think part of the problem is her nesting box is a bit skinny,(maybe she's just struggling to get comfortable) maybe I will try and figure something else out, and switch it on her late at night if the problem continues.

Back
Top Bottom