Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

The babies have arrived! What an exciting day!

I just wanted to report the ease with which these day old chicks were able to eat, drink and casually walk into their Momma Heated cave and put themselves to bed.

After we arrived home, they drank and ate for the longest time. Then it got all quiet because they had all gone back into the cave and were sound asleep.
Within the hour though, they were back out eating and drinking and running all around chirp, chirping. After eating and eating and eating...back they went into the cave and have been asleep for a long time now. Since the room is dark, I'm not expecting to hear from them till morning.

We got our chicks, Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps and Barred Rocks, from Chase Hatchery in Salt Lake. They seem very healthy and lively and clean. So, fingers crossed...
looking forward to watching these girls (hope they're all girls) grow up.

That is exciting news! We thrive on pictures (hint, hint)

498E3348-7861-483C-B119-CA9D7F65BBD0.jpeg
498E3348-7861-483C-B119-CA9D7F65BBD0.jpeg
After a morning nap, lots of exploring.

My latest iteration for the adjustable legs.
(see the others here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate.67729/)

Best yet, but time will tell how they hold up....hatching is still weeks away.
View attachment 1673019

View attachment 1673020

Playing with positioning:
View attachment 1673021

I like that design. How easy does the bolt turn in the plastic? I'm trying to figure something else out, other than the double nut I currently use. I want to be able to just turn the bolt, for adjustment. My chicks ship on march 6th, so I have a few weeks.

Mama heat pad base leg.jpg

I like that design. How easy does the bolt turn in the plastic? I'm trying to figure something else out, other than the double nut I currently use.
Very easy!
Plastic is some UHMW I had laying around, something harder might work better, not sure these will hold up long term. Tried tapping some LDPE but it was too soft, threads weren't clean enough to turn bolt leg easily by hand. Had to hack and slash to get the block size needed, already had the drill and tap and that was easy, just make sure the pilot hole is straight or legs will be 'splayed'(haha!), drill press helps with that.

I want to be able to just turn the bolt, for adjustment.
Exactly! That has always been my goal.
This design has been in my head for a long time, finally got down to it.

Back
Top Bottom