Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. jrjoplin

jrjoplin Songster

Jul 18, 2015
    Bridge Creek, OK
    Had a coop break in last night and lost about 20 birds. It looks like brute force was used to pry a section of the run up and I just had the coop door pulled shut so secondary entry was easy. I’ve got the remaining birds back in the grow out pen as that coop will comfortably hold what I have left. I’m beside myself as I had made improvements (or thought I had) since the flock massacre 2 years ago.

I’ve canceled my chick shipment and the I’ll wait till I’m in a better mindset before I reorder. Guess I’ll put the MHPs away for the year as I need to refocus on the coop. I think I’ll plan on a complete rebuild this summer and try to keep the remaining pullets in the smaller coop for now.

2. dpenning

dpenning Crowing

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    So sorry for your loss! I understand the mindset issue as I just had a massacre of my quail. It just sucks the joy out of keeping poultry for a while.

You said brute force, I’m assuming you are referring to a four legged predator and not two?

3. jrjoplin

jrjoplin Songster

Jul 18, 2015
    Bridge Creek, OK
    Four legged as they were eaten in the chicken yard, and eaten completely, so My guess is either coyotes as the ones I’ve seen are large this year or a Bobcat. I don’t think the smaller predators could have done the damage to the run without teamwork and they usually just eat the easy parts and move on to the next bird.

4. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Crossing the Road

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    That sucks!! You have some really aggressive predators. Sounds like you need serious attachment to something in the ground and probably a skirt so they can't dig under that. Might want to make the run out of knotted 2x4 fencing on the outside and 1/2" hardware cloth on the inside. That should keep out everything from weasels to coyotes, maybe even bears. The other option would be several strands of hot wire around the outside of the run so they don't even get close to the walls.

My deepest sympathies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: