Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    They are doing exactly what they should be doing - spending lots of time out from under MHP and growing, learning, and exploring. No need to put them under - just like with a Mama Hen they'll dash under if they need to now that they understand where the heat is!

2. dpenning

dpenning Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    They are pretty cute when they get sleepy. Turns into a chick mosh pit [​IMG]

3. dpenning

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    [​IMG]

4. dpenning

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    Do t know why I can only load one at a time [​IMG]

5. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Except the problem with heat lamps, SOLVED by MHP is that it is pretty much impossible to have a temperature gradient unless they are in a very big room that can absorb all the extra heat.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Didn't mean to step on any toes. [​IMG]

I certainly agree with the 1st 2 paragraphs. I used a remote reading reptile tank thermostat when I brooded my first chicks 3 years ago. If one does go with heat from a lamp, I like your idea of using the dimmer switch extension cord (didn't even know they existed).

I think the problem with any open source heat (bulb, ceramic plate, etc) is that they will heat the area around them, not just the spot you want. That is why I think the MHPB is so much better. It can be covered, therefore insulated, so the heat stays pretty much in the "cave". A lot of people have a brooder that isn't more than a few square feet, really hard to isolate heat sources that "target" one part of the space. I also like the idea that they aren't under a light source 24x7 for weeks. It just isn't natural. How do they get into a proper sleep/wake pattern if it is never night time?

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. ShidelsRestBB

ShidelsRestBB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2015
    MB
    My Coop
    Bruceha2000
    I have a shelf like that in my old refrigerator. It is part of a modular system.

You can find shelves like that in old closet organizer systems, as well.

Blooie
    I think the stand up mister is genius...
    Going out to get one this afternoon. Temp is hovering just under 100, and will be for next 4 days.

My meaties and turkes weighed in at 8 to 12 lbs, at 9-1/2 weeks Olds.

The Leghorns that I have for laying hens are about 1/2 of that.

Pics did not turn out. Still trying to post.

10. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    I am thinking of doing this. I just bought a 14w heating pad. I am thinking of using a wooden box on legs, and putting it in the roof. I am nervous about putting cloth in direct contact with it. Also I thought of putting it between 2 ceramic tiles and sitting it up on a frame. Then I would feel better about cloth going over it I think. Am I being over cautious? Also I need a little more explanation on your posts with pics. What is the wattage you are both using? What cloth do you have over the cage? Is it directly touching the mat? Etc. hope that isn't too many questions. Sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by