Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

brilliant about the tiles. I am considering doing a tile nest box for the heat here.... Ceramic on the rough side is pretty water absorbant.... do a mist or water drip every so often and while the tile dries it chills down...

You are in the Mojave Desert... I am in a small portion of the Sonoroan Desert Mine is probably a bit cooler in general... But we both have similar situations... extreme heat....

I was thinking of using a Chiminea for a nest box but they are too expensive...

deb

1 person likes this.
  2. mojavemike1

mojavemike1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hot and dry, although the last week was much cooler, low 90's...today it hit 100, with a lot more of that, and hotter, to come [​IMG]
    I didn't know what a Chiminea was until I Googled it...I see what you mean about too expensive ! You could buy a cooler for less. I have a cooler running in my coop...keeps the temps down to 85/90.

1 person likes this.
  3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I guess I'm a purist. Heating pad, frame, towel and/or straw, done and done. No thermometers, no fancy stuff, just happy, healthy chicks and a totally unstressed owner.

Coming to you live from the Ruby Princess, somewhere at the end of the Straits of Juan de Fuca.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. perchie.girl

I thought of using a swamp cooler may still. I had a chat a while back with a fellow who has poultry in Death Valley.... Water fowl to be specific Geese and ducks... He put down carpet in the runs and uses water sprinkler to wet it down so the geese dont burn their feet.

Here a bunch of mexican pottery places have them. All terracotta .... air would flow in and be drawn up the chiminy... then you could run misters on the terracotta itself.... chilling down the nest area.

when I am ready I will do a couple of experiments to see if it is feasable.... but I am thinking of using teracotta tiles big ones

deb "who had family that lived in Inyokern"

5. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia

6. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Great idea on the tiles! I will try that for my older chicks outside.

7. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Thanks for your thoughts this is exactly what I was after on this forum. I am going to post some pics when I get it going.

8. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Here is some of the set up. I got these hardened glass cutting boards cheap, they have tiny discs integrated into the corners, something recommended by the reptile pad company. This gives clearance to put the heating pad under a glass terrarium. My 14w heating pad will go between the glass boards.
    [​IMG]
    Then I will wrap a wool blanket around it to contain the heat as it is quite a low wattage. Hopefully the hardened glass will hold onto the heat, and the will will make it cuddly for them. I use wood shavings so they will have that underfoot, and I will pile it on top of the blanket for the poopers, that will jump on top. Ideas? Tweeks?[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  9. perchie.girl

Glass is an excellent conductor of heat.... and having the space in between will allow convection of air to disperse the heat over a larger area. The wool breathes very well... and both glass and wool are washable...

Let us know what your temps work out to be.

Are you going to use this Under the chicks? or above the chicks. Both ways work as well... Though no matter what you should have an over hang for them to get in for security.

Remember the chicks need cool air as well so they need to be able to get away from the heat source.

deb

10. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    I'm going to use it over them. My brooder has a closed sleeping room (heated) and an open room (unheated) where they eat and drink. Here they are in the open room, I have the lid up here for the photo of course.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by