Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Oooh I keep forgetting you are heading into winter if not already there....

deb

2. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Don't forget to wave in Sarah's general direction as you sail past!

3. ShidelsRestBB

ShidelsRestBB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2015
    MB
    My Coop
    Terra cotta rules. I plant pots of edibles along the fence line. After watering in the morning, the hens line up in their shade to cool off against their sides...

I make sure to soak the sides down, to cool the area.

4. ShidelsRestBB

ShidelsRestBB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2015
    MB
    My Coop
    I have a Cornish Giant that looks like he is having leg trouble. He does not roost, sits on his but with his legs out front most of the time, and seems to hobble.

He has no pain, that I can tell, and allows handling.

He journeys to the waterer, sits near the feeder and grit. But is not free ranging. I have been harvesting greens for him, and leaving a pan of scratch nearby.

He is getting bullied by another rooster, and I am wondering if I should separate him and examine him closer???

5. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    The Sunbeam heating pad is onsale for prime day on amazon, I think it is the correct one, please let me know if it is not. $31.19

Sunbeam heating pad, extra large

6. Mims

Mims Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    West Texas

Yes, that's the one!!

7. perchie.girl

8. BarredCometLaced

BarredCometLaced Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Northern NH
    Well thank goodness for the heating pad! My heating pad is now being used in the infirmary :( One of my new chicks (Eve) got stuck in the big chicken run, and the scalped her [​IMG]
    SO, she is back in my bedroom, heating pad to keep her warm. If anyone knows some first-aid, feel free to throw some my way! We would both appreciate it [​IMG]

9. perchie.girl

happens more often than youd think.... keep it clean and pretty much leave her alone... it will heal.

deb

10. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I had a scalped chick four years ago. The entire back portion of her scalp was eaten by the rooster. She grew a new cap of skin in around six weeks.

Cleaning it every day is important. The second most important thing you need to do so it will grow skin is to keep it moist. The minute you allow it to dry out, it will stop healing and infection will then be a danger.

I left my chick with her mates. I used Silvadene on the wound to keep it moist and to prevent infection, but antibiotic ointment will work just as well. The chicks tasted the goop on her head and left her alone after that. Cleaning it every day made it possible to leave her in the pen with the others.

I wrote up the entire episode on my personal page under comments under my photo album. https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/5992343/default/

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by