Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

LOL [​IMG][​IMG] I am seriously an OTO (Off Topic Offender) and I know it. Someone want to sponsor me?

1 person likes this.
  2. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia

Lol[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I'm just greedy for info on this brooder topic. I probably should just buy a brinsea, but I am convinced I'll make one yet. I am going to try setting up a wooden box type, and confine heat to reduce wattage.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  3. perchie.girl

4. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Premier, which I love. It was cheaper than the Brinsea, and I use it outside in 20 - 30 degree weather and works great.

I have some Crested Legbars coming in August. My Premier will be too hot for them. I have ordered my heating pad and waiting on it's arrival. I'll be working on it over the next couple of weeks and will post my result.

2 people like this.
  5. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    I've had many batches of chicks through the brooder, and pretty good at chicken speak now. Lol! I'll trial my ideas and take temperature readings first, before any one goes under my brooder. I posted all the pics above. As for medical kit, I agree. [​IMG] I just added some more to mine. When it's breeding season, I'll hopfuly be using way less electricity, but still with warm, fuzzy, little happy chicks. My outdoor brooder housing will have river sand in its tray, and a box style heating system, with a low wattage lamp. They will be 4 weeks by then and come out of the baby brooder.[​IMG]

6. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Obviously you can buy the Brinsea but the large size MHP is half the price of the small EcoGlow (and how many days can you REALLY have 20 chicks in an 8" x 12" area, the size of a standard piece of paper? Sounds a lot like the "fits 4x the number of chickens it can" coops. The EcoGlow that is the equivalent size of the large heating pad is $130 more than the pad.

A MHP brooder is REALLY easy to make in many forms and the pad has uses beyond rearing chicks - something most of us do not do on a regular basis. For most of us that pricy Brinsea would be packed in the back of a closet except for the 1 month a year (or 2 or 3 years) that we brood chicks. Besides that a MHPB "cave" is a lot more like being under a hen than the "open on all sides" Brinsea.

Just my opinion of course [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. marcyflock

marcyflock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2015
    That really surprises me.  I had eleven 1 week old chicks and four 1 day old chicks outside and it was 23 degrees.  They are now almost 3 weeks and almost 2 weeks old, respectively, and still doing absolutely great.  I feel so bad that it didn't work for you.

The heating pad NEEDS the auto off button or it shuts itself off after a couple hours.

8. mojavemike1

mojavemike1 Chillin' With My Peeps

First day at the Momma Cave Inn[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They didn't go in until I shooed them in...now they are in and out all the time.

1 person likes this.
  9. perchie.girl

OH such Cuteness.... and success.....

deb

1 person likes this.
  10. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    These companies just make to much money for things like this. There are so many people doing wonderful innovative things. I prefer to be one of them. For myself (because I'm a nut) it's a cop out to just run with the herd mentality. Plus I love pottering and pondering over these things. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by