Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. SunshineAnShade

SunshineAnShade Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Chicopee Ma
    Yep, hot an humid here in Vermont too. Just started raining, big front coming through. It will get to you fairly soon Sunshine.

It sure did bruce! A few hours ago the skies opened up and gave us some much needed rain! Didn't do much to clear up the humidity though. This morning i got out and spread some wood chips in my garden despite the heat and humidity. Glad i got it done before the rain!

2. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    What temp would a 14w reptile heating pad heat to?

3. SunshineAnShade

SunshineAnShade Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2015
    Chicopee Ma

I tried to find an answer for you but was unsuccessful. If you have one, maybe turn it on and use a thermometer , (instant read or brooder thermometer ) to monitor the temps but i read somewhere ( a reptile forum maybe) that you need some kind of heat regulator. I don't really know. I looked into other options for heat sources but went with the recommended sunbeam xpress xl because it was the easiest and also proven method. Good luck to you!

Edited for grammatical errors. I really need to start proof reading posts before I publish them! Lol

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  4. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Thanks so much. Yes I will do a test run with it between the hardened glass panes, and post the results.

5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Oh boy, do I need some sympathy and understanding around about now! I thought I really had this mail order routine figured out, and I'd be getting my three new chicks just 24 hours after they shipped. It was worth it to me to have them shipped to a friend who lives in a city 250 miles north of me to avoid having the chicks sit an additional 24 hours in a USPS sorting center before being shipped the rest of the way south to my local post office.

After driving 500 miles round trip today, I returned home empty-handed and broken-hearted, and stressed out to the max with a sore head and stomach along with it.

Turned out the chicks were delivered too late to meet a participating FedEx plane in Cleveland, so they have been there since 9pm last night, and remain there according to the tracking info.

So I will have to make the same 500 mile trip again in the morning on the hope that the chicks haven't disappeared into thin air and they'll be delivered sometime tomorrow.

And I try not to think about what condition they'll be in after spending the last 60 hours, by the time I do get them, just the three of them trying to keep each other warm enough. I alerted MPC about this, still another major screw-up, and that they may be replacing my order yet again.

I tell ya, I'm really getting soured on this mail order method of getting chicks. It's been nothing but grief so far.

6. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Happy ending. The chicks were finally delivered a day late, and my friends met us halfway between our two towns so we didn't have to do the 500 mile round trip again. The little ones were lively and guzzled Gatorade like little drunks.[​IMG]

Here they are on my lap in the car on their last leg of their journey. That's Peppermint the Gold Cuckoo Marans closest, with Taffy and Snickers, the two Cream Legbars huddled together. Peppermint was like a Mexican jumping bean, constantly trying to hop out of the packing box, so I finally just let them wander my lap until they got too cool. We changed direction and headed into the sun after that and they had a natural heat lamp until that got too hot for them.

[​IMG]When I got them home, they zipped under the cave like they knew exactly what it was for. I began the control on #6 and they really needed it for the first couple hours, then I noticed they had moved to the front area where the HP doesn't cover it, so I turned it down to #5.

[​IMG]I had to sprinkle some dry starter on the floor for them to get the idea to begin eating. After a couple hours, and six or seven naps, they dove into the fermented starter.

[​IMG]They all seem healthy and none the worse for their long trip with no heat since being hatched on Monday morning, it now being Wednesday. Even better, they all three show signs of girly wing development. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

@azygous

What wonderful pictures and sooo happy you got connected with the little fuzzbutts....

deb

8. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Blooie says we should post lots of baby chick pics, so I'm following the rules. Here are the three three-day olds. They often fall asleep standing up, and notice how Pepper is usually apart from the other two, and they are that way all day long. Pepper seems to need a lot less time under the MHP so she wanders around alone, screeching for attention, and shuts right up when she gets it.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    How wonderful! Thank goodness!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I love it when people follow the rules! [​IMG] So cute!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by