Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Yeppper... right next...

I been Blooied by the NEW BBB [​IMG]

2. zippy722

zippy722 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Indiana
    After watching the chicks for several days, staying under the MHP and not coming out to eat or drink much, I decided to put a heat lamp on them today. What a world of difference. They are out and about, eating and drinking, and sleeping! But my plan is to turn the lamp off during the night, so they go back under the MHP, with lights out! I think this might be a good combination for the first 10-14 days. At least I think it will work for my chicks. I ended up having 11 chicks, and hoping for 6-7 pullets out of the bunch. :fl. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I guess I'm a little surprised but obviously you are doing what you think is best for your chicks and no one here disagrees with that! Keep us posted and keep the pictures coming as they grow!

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I'd check that heating pad and see if it's warm enough under that brooder....chicks won't come out from under their mama until they are warm enough to do so. When they get warm enough...usually TOO warm...they come out from under and are active. When they get too chilled out there eating and drinking and running around, they duck back under mama for another warm up. If they are staying under constantly they are not getting warm enough while there.

5. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I was thinking that too, Bee, but if the chicks are having the lamp sometimes and the pad other times Zippy might be better off to just do what she's most comfortable with and try again with MHP with her next batch from the start. I was kinda wondering too, if since MHP chicks are usually so much quieter and calmer than heat lamp chicks, could that be what she's seeing? (Gosh, here I am talking about you like you aren't even here, which really isn't very nice of me, is it
    @zippy722 . Sorry about that, but I'm kinda learning as we go along here too so it really interests me.) I know from my own experience that the chicks I raised under the heat lamp were always active, running around, eating almost constantly and chirping, while the MHP chicks were quieter, moved a little less rushed, and ate and slept kind of in cycles but all at the same time. I dunno, I'm winging it here! I know when we put the first batch of chicks under MHP I checked on them often, wondering if they were weak or something, but then realized that they were just being calm while the previous years' chicks were almost exhausting to watch as they raced all over the brooder. Just a thought, in addition to the temps under the pad.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Note to self: Remember to go turn the heating pad back on after the power goes out [​IMG]. It was such a brief outage I honestly didn't even think of it. My brooder is set up to be pretty hand's off and it was just luck I checked on them a few hours later. Everyone's fine, but the new babies were thinking momma died or something, poor little things. Much happier now!

7. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Been there! A couple of pages back one of the Brigade found a heating pad that not only doesn't have auto-shut off, it also turns itself back on after an outage. Ordered one. She provided a link, too. Just watch and make sure you get the right link. I didn't at first.

8. trudyg

trudyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    I just went out and took the required photos :) It's about 60 degrees out in the open area of the coop. I can tell you this--when I raised chicks in the garage, they peeped and moved all night. Putting them into the coop, they settle down at dark and are relatively quiet all night.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. gottecat

gottecat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2015
    Utah
    Hello i am pretty brand new to chickens! I hot 4 hens 2 weeks ago and today my post ofgice called to let me know my chirpers are there. I ordered 15 chicks with the free exotic. I am loving the idea of the mother hen. Will post pictures and an update later :)
    Cat

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Looking forward to seeing them, gottecat! Welcome to BYC and to the Broody Brigade. Got everything you need, including a heating pad that doesn't shut off automatically after 2 hours? And lots of photo space on your camera? Can't wait to see them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by