Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. PowellAnimals

PowellAnimals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    Muncy, Pennsylvania
    Ah, I missed that part and thought it was the same thing. Good to know. I just placed my order for two due to the buy one/get one. If it gets here quickly enough I may return the other one. Do you find that the high setting stays warm enough?

2. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

When I tested it on my kitchen table, the high was at 84 degrees. When I held the thermometer up against the pad, it registered 100 after about 10 min.

Mine don't use it much at all. It's been 100 degrees the last few days when lows in the upper 70's to low 80's. I have it set on low. This weekend we're supposed to have a cool front come in. High's in the low 80's and lows in the upper 50's. I will probably turn it up to medium and see how they do.

3. zippy722

zippy722 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Indiana
    When I found this thread a few days ago, I jumped for joy! I am not a fan of the heat lamp either, and my chicks were due to hatch today and Saturday (I have two incubators going). I was able to find the large heating pad easily enough at walmart yesterday, and already had the dog crate. I struggled with what to create the frame out of that the pad rests on. After several ideas running through my head, I came up with this idea, of using one of my cooling racks from my kitchen, that has legs on it. And after raising the front legs by putting miniature pie pans under it, my brooder is ready for my chicks. Brilliant Blooie, just brilliant. So far, I have 3 chicks that have hatched of the first batch of 12, and the second batch has 9. I just hope I get a decent hatch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Almost 3 weeks now and still loving the cave! I added some feed store barred Rock chicks earlier this week, and hatched out 3 blue sex links and 2 silkies that got put in today. Everyone's happy and content. The littles hang toward the back where there's more heat, the bigs (weird thinking of a 3 week old chick as a big!) are out and about or just under the front.

Setting more eggs tonight...gonna fill that brooder right up [​IMG]

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Playing catch up from our trip to Cheyenne. I had my phone so I could read posts, but answering them took a little more time. I'm so glad that you like MHP, Rachel. But I'm really sorry that I've turned out to be one more in a long line of enablers for you! Teehee

@zippy722 Looks like you are all set! I'm surprised that Walmart had the larger pad - all I can find in the Walmarts here was the smaller one. That's fine too, because I use both sizes, I guess. Any pictures of the babies yet?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  6. trudyg

trudyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    I set up my area with the mhp but then had a sudden trip to the ER. So, they ended up with a heat lamp because I was away. So they've been in the chicken tractor for 6 days now with both, but they don't go into the mhp, they just stay under the lamp. I want to get them off the lamp and under the pad. Any suggestions? It's going to be lower 60's at night here the next week or so, 80's during the day. Should I just remove the lamp? Maybe set it higher up for a day or so? I have put several chicks under the pad (the 2 I had to wash butts and several more) and all but 1 came out as soon as I removed my hand. The last one stayed under about 15 minutes, but I haven't seen it go back under. They are starting to get little tail sprouts, so cute!

7. TysonDSMIowa

TysonDSMIowa Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2015
    Des Moines Iowa
    Awesome idea, I am going to use this.

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oh, rats! I sure hope everything is okay and you're doing better!

It should still be warm enough to take the lamp completely away during the daylight hours. Then at night you could go out and try to push them under, but don't be surprised if they don't stay. They know what they need, and as long as they know where the heat source is they'll find it, either on top or underneath. As far as them coming out as soon as you move your hand, they are just doing what they'd do under a broody. They sure don't stay under her much as long as there's a big world to check out and learn about! I'm assuming that the tractor is secure and the cave is inside shelter within it. How old are they now? About a week and a half old? They still need some heat, but they should be able to find it. Keep me posted - I want it to work well for you. Oh, and <tapping foot> where are the required photos? [​IMG] Most of us are done with chicks for the year but that doesn't mean we don't crave our chick fix!

Welcome to the Broody Brigade!

9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Does that go right up there with being blooied, Deb? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by