Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    And that's as it should be! They are so cute, and they look pretty doggone content from where I'm sitting! Great job!

2. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Well done, prayerwheel. Don't you love the way they survey their domain like little queens holding court? One thing that concerns me is the height - how in the heck are you going to keep them in there? They'll learn to fly out long before they outgrow it, and the outgrowing part will come along faster than you know.

Edited to add: Love the rubber band idea - and boy would I love to see them playing on their trampoline!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  3. prayerwheel

prayerwheel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Hahaha oh no, it has a lid & door, I just took it off to capture this image, in fact they were trying to fly out while I was trying to take the pic! [​IMG]
    I'm going to transition them to larger quarters next week & maybe start giving them some outdoor time[​IMG]

4. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I suspected as much but had to ask. [​IMG]

5. odysseychicken

odysseychicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2015
    OK. Here they are. When we put them in their box they just hung out by the feeder. One by one I placed them in the "cave" so they would know where it was. As soon as I put them in their eyes got heavy and they fell asleep. They forgot all about the food.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. katbriar

katbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    Northern New Mexico

Blooie, thanks so much for your long and thoughtful posts. And congratulations on all the extra joy you've had because of the little people in the last week. You're right to brag on them all!

7. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    @odysseychicken Okay, they are officially adorable!! Thanks for paying your membership fee! [​IMG] I'll bet you'll find that if you pull that front down a bit to form an awning they'll really be quiet all night long - no light coming inside and helps hold a little more heat in for those critical first couple of days. You did so well with your setup! They are going to just love it, and if you're like many of us within a couple of weeks you'll be wondering where you can get "just a few more" because these seem to grow so doggone fast!

@katbriar I should be the one thanking you - and all of the others who make this work. I don't know how thoughtful my posts are - my fingers seem to type whatever is in my head - but I do agree that they are usually long! [​IMG] Just part of my charm, as Ken would say.

I'm also happy to report that Kendra's new braces look like they are going to work out just fine. The only fly in the ointment is that because they are a slightly different type, with AFO (ankle foot orthotics) attached to them instead of them being riveted directly to the shoes, we'll be limited in how many hours a day she can wear them at first. We have to watch for skin breakdown. She does that so easily. So our walking will be curtailed until we're up to full time in them. And Little Miss Sophia, Kendra's birth buddy, is doing very well following her open heart surgery. This one is supposed to be the worst of the 3 major parts to the repair. Somebody forgot to tell Sophia....she's been outside laying in the grass at the hospital, then discharged to the hotel the family was staying in, and as of Friday the little monkey is going home. I know adults who have had less invasive things done that don't recover that well. Yayyy Kendra and Sophia.

I know I do go on, but is it my fault that my life is so rich and full and wonderful? [​IMG]

8. gjamesi

gjamesi Out Of The Brooder

I add my thanks Blooie,I have a batch incubating now and this is timely info. I so love KISS ideas,thanks for sharing.

9. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    FWIW, I used the MHP only 2 days and 1 night until I got the "kids" under a broody hen. But they had only pine shavings and the "straw" mat from the shipping box in the MHP brooder and only pine shavings in the brooding pen in the coop. Didn't have a problem with "is this food".

I would NOT use the Reflectix. I don't know about overheating, but in my limited experience, chickens like to peck at things, especially shiny things and things that seem to be "out of order" like small scabs and freckles. I would be concerned that they would peck the foil and eat it. If they are going to eat something that isn't food, I'd rather it be a wood based thing like shavings or paper towels.

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    We'll be happy to install you as a card carrying member of the Broody Brigade. Membership is cheap - say it with me, gang - photos! Sometimes for folks who may be sitting on the fence a little, just not sure if any of this is safe for the chicks or as easy as we make it sound, everyone's pictures say much more than words. Not that the idea is to "talk" anyone into doing it....the idea is more to give an alternative to heat lamps glaring all night long.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by