Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Thanks, Cluckies! I appreciate both! The "almost granddaughter" I referred to was born at Children's Hospital just 2 weeks before our real granddaughter Kendra was born, and our families adopted each other from the moment my daughter-in-law and I unpacked the car at the Ronald McDonald House there. Our girls are now 4 years old and every year we celebrate their birthdays together. Sophia had her first of three major open heart surgeries a couple of days after she was born, and Kendra had her back surgery 12 hours after she was born. Sophia calls me "Gramma Diane". So prayers for our Little Warrior, a little girl born with only half a heart, are always greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    Sophia and Kendra's 1st birthdays....their family drove up here. Kendra has the dark hair, Sophia the blonde. By this time she'd already had one major open heart surgery and numerous heart caths. She was also still being partially tube fed.

[​IMG]
    Our little ones on their second birthdays. No more tube feeding for Sophia. We drove to their place for this one.

[​IMG]
    And on their third birthdays, back up here. We didn't do their fourth birthdays together because Kendra was down at Children's in Denver being fitted for her new braces, and since Sophia's 3 stage of her heart surgery was coming up we decided that we'd skip the celebration to protect Sophia in case Kendra or Katie might have been carrying any kind of virus that just hadn't become symptomatic yet.

Reports today nothing but great news. Sophia is up, walking, and doing better than any of the cardio surgeons thought she would be at this time.

And yep, a brand new great granddaughter - Rebekah Jane. Life is SOOOOOO good! Guess I kinda hijacked the thread with my human LIttles, but heck, it's my thread so I'll hijack it if I want, especially for these little beauties.

1 person likes this.
  2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Gosh! A couple of real winners, for sure!

3. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I know...they are something, aren't they? And check out the look alike outfits!

I had the most wonderful experience with Kendra today and I wanted to upload the video. Naturally my YouTube is giving me fits. <sigh> But even that can't dampen my spirits today!

4. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Ta da! Sucess! Actually I succeeded last night, but didn't get it up here.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You guys must be so proud of that girl! She's got GAME!

Reminds me of long ago when my nephew was that age and getting his first braces. Yep, spina bifida in my family, too. He never was able to make a go of upright locomotion, lacking any feeling below his waist. When he was six and his little sister got her first two-wheeler and was outside trying it out, Quin turned to me and said, "I wonder what it would feel like to ride a bike." So I asked Emily if Quin could have a turn, and she said certainly. I picked him up and balanced him on the bike and pushed him around for a bit, until Quin said, "Okay. Now I know." That's all he wanted or needed, and he was content to enjoy watching his sister.

He's in his mid 30s now, and has always been in a wheel chair, but otherwise leads a perfectly normal life. I can tell from those girls' attitudes that both will have perfectly normal lives, too.

6. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm so glad you told me about your nephew! Kendra has feeling down to about her knees and just a little below. So this walking business isn't something she will do a lot of the time. We'll be content for her if she can get from the bedroom to the bathroom, kitchen to the living room, etc. She's been in her wheelchair since she was 9 months old and she can run circles around anyone, I'm telling you! Honestly, what I love the best about this video is how proud she looks. Walking with her walker isn't really new to her - doing it outside and being encouraged to stomp in puddles was a whole new experience and her smile says it all! She doesn't talk yet. She knows lots of words but they are all nouns of things she can identify, but she can't follow simple directions or answer questions. So communication is going to be our toughest battle.

We took her to Cowley's new Splash Park in her wheelchair and turned her loose. She had a blast.

7. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You want to experience true terror? Watch a six-year old tear down a steep hill in his chair with no brakes. Lucky for you Kendra is a girl and less likely to feel the need for speed. Or you can hope.

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    <shudder> [​IMG]

9. prayerwheel

prayerwheel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Love! This has been a gamechanger! I have never raised Chix & never liked the idea of heat lamps. I fashioned my Chix cave after the pix you provided and my 4 babies love it! I like that they can self regulate and it brings me great joy to see them come running out of the cave when they hear me open the door [​IMG]
    Thank you so much!, I probably never would have attempted raising Chix if it weren't for this post, I'm infinitely grateful!!!
    Cheers! Ann

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oh, Ann! That's so nice to read! Welcome to the Broody Brigade! Now, if you've read the thread you know the deal....your membership fee is photos of those babies with their imitation broody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by