Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. gjamesi

gjamesi Out Of The Brooder

12 days old and had to move the rambunctious chicks outside yesterday. I did not check on them last night, just checked to make sure the light was on on the heating pad (honest).
    When I checked on them this morning, none were under it and they all looked at me like "what?"
    At least they and the grownups can see and get used to each other while the chicks finish feathering out.

2. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Apparently there's a message on the answering machine that the chicks are in but I thought the number said FL ao i didn't answer so it's probably from an hour or two ago i feel so bad omg i hope they're alive. We don't even have a spot ready. I'm so scared

3. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chicken Obsessed

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Nope, no cover and no frame. I'm going WAY off label with this! I know it is risky but nothing is ever invented if one only does what was done before. [​IMG]

Kendra wasn't in the toilet again was she? [​IMG]

4. bruceha2000

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Off to the PO you go! They have probably been there since this morning. They take the redeye from Cleveland to (well I don't know which airport, probably Manchester?) then to Nashua. From there they are trucked to the "local" "plant" for distribution to the POs. Of course that is the mail WE get, it is possible MA has a different "central source", maybe Boston or Hartford though given it isn't THAT far from either of those places to Nashua, I don't know if there is another "regional" distribution center. I can ask my wife when she gets home.

You really can make the MHPB in half an hour, maybe an hour if you have to tape a lot of wire edges. When you get the chicks home, just take the top off the box, get their food and water set up and plop MHP over the top with a gap in the front while you work on the wire frame.

Oh and don't worry if they aren't interested in the grogel. Mine weren't 3 years ago and the ones I got in June weren't either. I won't spend money on it the next time.

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Nope, the new lock on the outside of the bathroom door has ended those little forays! She was in Grampa's office playing piano on his computer - again. <sigh> I'd love to be able to lock that up but the entrance door is a curtain. [​IMG]

6. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    All peeping loud so hopefully healthy

7. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The box is a great idea! Makes it much less stressful. I'm panicking trying to make the wire frame immediately. We have a cat carrier?

8. bruceha2000

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    Don't panic! It REALLY is easy. You don't want to rely on the box they came in very long, just a stopgap until you make the MHPB.

9. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Thanks. :) i went overboard on rocks because I was paranoid. Possibly made the water in spots a teeny tiny bit cloudy but i rinsed them in hot water first. And put 7 bottles of bottled water in lmao

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also sweating ad shaking profusely, it's really hot in the house and is actually pretty warm up here at the top of the barn too. I've been carrying bricks up and down too. Still haven't even taken them out. Are the bricks too high? Take up too much room? I was gonna use the big pool but I filled it with water for the dog so have to wait and drain but have seen people use Rubbermaid tubs? Some water also spilled when i tipped it but outside brooder. Is this okay? I am so nervous because they're still in the box cause i'm so dang slow. :(

10. curious chickee

curious chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Eggs are on lockdown, we should have some chicks for our new MHP by Halloween. Brooder all set up outside Adding some silkie chicks along with my own Cochin mix hatching eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by