Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just set up the feeder too.

[​IMG]

2. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
  3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    A video

4. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Worried about the one little buff, keeps throwing her head way back and fell or was pushed out of MHP

Also had two escapees so far lol

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Okay, I just have a question for you, KDOGG. You said you filled their water container with bottles of water? As in store bought bottles of water? And you plan to continue that? If that's the case, you'd better break out your wallet. You'll be changing that waterer a couple of times a day with all the litter and poop that's going to get in there. I know putting it on bricks is supposed to reduce that, but it doesn't, trust me. They can fling that stuff higher than you can stack bricks and still make the water accessible for them. So while it's a nice thought, unless you have the most contaminated drinking water on the planet you might want to reconsider.

Keep you eye on that little Buff. Make sure she can be kept warm and also make sure she knows where the water is. You may want to supplement their water with another smaller container of water that has some Save-A-Chick in it, or even better some Nutri-drench.

6. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Oh yeah, it was just temporary because I was so worried and paranoid about them being okay and my mom said to haha I plan using just normal water once they're more settled in.

I'll definitely keep an eye on her! She's under now but fell out again a little while later but I put her back in and they're all huddled under now. Added some more shavings around it too. They're all toasty I think. We actually had a smaller waterer we got at the feed store but I'm a bit paranoid and it had the triple sixes on the sticker and despite peeling most of the sticker off I just bought a new waterer on Amazon lol I know, ridiculous. Still have the other though or could use a milk jug or bowl or something. Was gonna get save a chick but got gro gel and the vita pack thing instead. Should i put it in now or wait? They're all still huddled under and I replaced the feeder with a paper towel for now to be extra sure they know how to eat. Will work on the wire frame a bit later on.

This is the girl, managed to get a picture of her doing it. She did it, fell over backwards, was fine for a few seconds, head back again for shorter time and didn't fall but managed to get the picture then stick her back under MHP.

[​IMG]

7. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ahhh drats, the light was off and I turned it on and walked halfway to them and a few started peeping when before they were quiet. I think they were sleeping and I woke the poor things up

8. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Also here's the embedded pictures haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. trudyg

trudyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    I think you're gonna need higher walls. They'll hop on top of the mhp and flop right out, then won't be able to get back in. Higher is better--get cardboard and tape it together for a quick fix. They're fast and flighty. You'll be surprised at how fast they start 'flying' with those little stubby wings.

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Amen to that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by