Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

hit.gif
It was a total rookie mistake, the humidity in the 'bator got too high. I feel AWWWWWFUL !!!!

I last checked them before bed, about 10:30pm, and they looked fine, most of them were fluffy except the 5 newly hatched. Hum was 75%.

I peeked at them at 2am, but confess, I was sleep-groggy, and I could not see very well into the incubator, so I went back to bed.

At 6:30am...I checked and they were all SOAKING WET !!!! PANIC time !! I moved 18 to the brooder box.

They are dry now (in a box w/heat lamp) and about 60% fluffed up. I dipped all their beaks in water, but they are not drinking independently yet. they seem much calmer now, and are taking naps in between chirping sessions, and enjoying the heat lamp.

I had 19 hatch of the 21 eggs. 18 chicks are in the brooder box. One chick is still in the incubator with an unabsorbed yolk, resting. The yolk is flattened and laying on his belly. He is breathing. I'm letting him/her rest, and watching. I removed the 2 unhatched eggs, as it was very STINKY, and indications were that they had died, one had pipped, so I could see that it was dead.

whew, this last problem has me quite upset....and everything was going so WELL until that point!! Waaaahhh. (sorry for being a crybaby)
hit.gif

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your damp chicks! Did their water leak or spill causing the humidity?

We ended up having a mishap here this morning- because I used a few wires as center support posts when adding the second pad, I was using thread bare pillow cases and just poking a small hole for the wire to past thru. Well at sometime during the night/early morning the threadbare pillow case shifted, despite half a dozen safety pins and a taped edge, and it tore a hole big enough for chicks to squeeze thru.

I had 22 -2 week old chicks squeeze thru a 2" tear and get themselves trapped! Little stinkers! I un taped the end and fished them all out. Luckily everyone was okay- just a bit thirsty/ hungry.

Pillow case has now been trashed and a towel is pined to the top.

Thank you perchie girl, I sent you a PM just now. Pls call me at your convenience.
hide.gif
Jan

Not me I gave you Sally Sunshine's She is a pro on all things Chick.... From home made incubators to assisted hatching

but after reading and I am NO expert.... I suspect the humidity jumps up as the chicks hatch.

But to be honest 19 out of 21 is an awesome hatch rate.

Total excitement! Just got 29 chicks in minutes ago! They are all eating, using vertical nipples and have found their mama heating pad! It get's a little quieter every time one more finds her, lol. As you can see, I made the pad area bigger (pad only on top, not bent down the sides) so there would b just one and more floor space.

Yeah! I have finally paid my dues!

Oh, my goodness! It's not just me, @10AcreChick Lots of pioneers using heating pads before I was! Patrice Lopatin, @Beekissed and @aart, and I'm sure others, all came along first. And look at all the people who are part of this since the first post on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom