Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Oooohhhh what kind of chicks!? Sandhill has some nice birds!!!

As for the pad, if you do it the way @10AcreChick and @aart did, in more of a plate way instead of curved into a cave, then it should fit them all from what I've seen! I just did a cave with welded wire but I only had 8. But next time I am going with the plate idea.

If that doesn't work you can always get a second smaller one and put them together to make one giant one!!

Good luck with the chicks and we expect pictures when they arrive!!!
smile.png

How many do you have now?
I should get 10 welsummers, 10 mottled javas (but they may sub 5 of them if needed) and 5 blue orpingtons. I tried to get 5 delawares, but they subbed the orpingtons for those.

I have 18 chickens total right now, a mix of hatchery chickens and their mixed offspring. 16 hens, 2 roosters. I have kept them alive and well so far that I decided it was time that I got something a bit nicer. I hope to focus on the welsummer and javas exclusively. The welsummers I have now have really drawn me in. I free range from end of March to the end of December, and they do so well. We will see how the javas do!

I will make sure to share pics!

Welcome! After a week on the heat lamp, you may have to gently push them under and hold your hand in front of the opening until they figure out that it's warm in there. They'll pop out a few times but you just put them back if you have to. I haven't had to do that, but once yours know where warm is they'll go find it. DON'T expect them to stay under there all the time - they won't. They wouldn't under a broody hen either.The thing they'll have the hardest time with is when it gets dark and there's no light on them. They may let you know in no uncertain terms that that is NOT what they are used to. Don't cave on the light...you want them used to what they'll be experiencing when they start living outside full time. Now, that doesn't mean you can't a take a dim flashlight (when I need one of those I just rubber band a washcloth around the lens to dim it) and make sure they have all found their way under. Again, if you have to, tuck 'em in and hold your hand there with no light shining on them. They'll make this soft little "churring" sound and go to sleep and won't come out again until the room lightens. Good luck!

I should get 10 welsummers, 10 mottled javas (but they may sub 5 of them if needed) and 5 blue orpingtons. I tried to get 5 delawares, but they subbed the orpingtons for those.

I have 18 chickens total right now, a mix of hatchery chickens and their mixed offspring. 16 hens, 2 roosters. I have kept them alive and well so far that I decided it was time that I got something a bit nicer. I hope to focus on the welsummer and javas exclusively. The welsummers I have now have really drawn me in. I free range from end of March to the end of December, and they do so well. We will see how the javas do!

I will make sure to share pics!

Oh awesome!!! I was considering Welsummers but ended up not getting them plus I think they were sold out. Maybe next year!! I would love to get different color Orpingtons or a rooster. My dad has limited me to 8 birds but I will get more eventually :p

Remind me what your frame was made out of again?

Let's see if I can explain it clearly enough: I took a piece of hardware cloth the same size as the heating pad and bungeed the heating pad to it, those really small bungees work well. I folded each end sharply at about 2 1\2 inches from each end. I used two about 22 inch long and 1\2" thick and 1\2" wide wooden sticks (used ash, very stiff) to run through the hardware cloth between it and the HP to keep it from bowing. They stick out on either end about an inch or two. I was worried the chicks would get on it and smush the ones underneath. Pillow case over the whole thing, bungee again, towel on top so they can't get to the bungees, and done! I actually folded a towel and put it under one end, so it kind of sits at an angle, I wasn't sure if 2 1\2 inches was tall enough for them. They love it!

Lol, now that I write this, I realize I DO have HP on the sides, but it's a 12x24, so it's still about 19 inches of space. Totally large enough!

Blooie you are a genius!!

We love this. We opted to order a plant heating mat that has the same basic functions and setting with the exception it gives you actual temperatures instead of setting numbers. We also like that this will be something we use not just for chickens but for starting plants as well.

Love the idea that this is a more natural process for the chicks and we are able to put them in the coop for ease of assimilation into the flock.

Can't wait to try it out. Thank you so much.

Joining in here!
pop.gif

I've got 25 chicks on order from Sandhill due in May. If I don't have a couple of broodies willing to accept chicks, then I am going to try the MHP in the broody coop. I refuse to raise chicks in the house again!! No electricity at the coop right now, so DH is going to move the 4'x4' coop up next to the barn for electricity.

I have not read through everything yet, busy busy times here with two little boys, but those with experience--- will the king size (12" x 24") be big enough for 25 standard chicks?
frow.gif
Misty its a great read...

Ok so they are now going into momma by themselves, but at night should they all be under or can they sleep on top? Right now I have 3 under and 3 on top. I need to make sure they have enough space, I was so worried about getting it hot enough it might be a little too small for all of them. Also when do you lower the temp? At 5 days or should be on 6(high) right?
Sorry so many questions!

Back
Top Bottom