Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I gotta start watching that "new unread post" thingy on the bottom, Bruce! Good morning!!
frow.gif

Good morning my friend. Feeling perky today now that the blood can flow and the monstrosity is off your arm?

BTW, you've been Blooied. I posted while you were typing
smile.png

I subscribe to "interesting" threads and click the Subscriptions button up below Private Messages so I can see just those with new posts. Took me a LONG time to figure that out. I used to scroll through the list of topics I had posted on and sometimes there would be a new post on page 2 or even 3 with nothing new in between.

Howdy ya'all ;-) I have a silly question about this MHP system. I started reading the thread from the beginning, skipped to somewhere in the middle then jumped to near the end. ADD in action ;-) Forgive me if this has been brought up and answered.

I've seen several posts about what to line the MHP with underneath as well as on top. Many suggestions that try to mimic Mama better. I have not seen one post about lining it with actual feathers. Is there a reason for this?
I realise not everyone on here has dual purpose birds, but for those of us who do, why are they not saving the feathers from the meat birds to line the brooder or at least the MHP?

Howdy ya'all ;-)  I have a silly question about this MHP system.  I started reading the thread from the beginning, skipped to somewhere in the middle then jumped to near the end.  ADD in action ;-)  Forgive me if this has been brought up and answered. 

I've seen several posts about what to line the MHP with underneath as well as on top.  Many suggestions that try to mimic Mama better.  I have not seen one post about lining it with actual feathers.  Is there a reason for this?  
     I realise not everyone on here has dual purpose birds, but for those of us who do, why are they not saving the feathers from the meat birds to line the brooder or at least the MHP?

Probably ease of cleaning. You can throw pillowcases and towels into a washer. For feathers, you'd have to constantly make new linings.

Howdy ya'all ;-) I have a silly question about this MHP system. I started reading the thread from the beginning, skipped to somewhere in the middle then jumped to near the end. ADD in action ;-) Forgive me if this has been brought up and answered.

I've seen several posts about what to line the MHP with underneath as well as on top. Many suggestions that try to mimic Mama better. I have not seen one post about lining it with actual feathers. Is there a reason for this?

For what purpose other than to make WAY too much work for you?? There is a limit to making it mimic a brooding hen. You are never going to make something sentient that will show them various food sources, teach them to go to roost at night, etc. Generally speaking, chicks will figure all this out themselves if there are no other chickens around to do so.

I don't even know how one would attach the moulted feathers to the pad. The idea is that you have a SIMPLE confined heated space (such as it would be under a hen) vs heating an entire larger area with a heat lamp. Natural day and night cycles, no 24x7 light. The ability to run around in ambient temps far lower than what they need for sleeping or "heat recharging".

Pad underneath, warm (printed side on the Sunbeam eXpress) facing down so the chicks can snuggle up against it when they want the most heat. They will position themselves closer or farther from the pad (which is why the frames are typically angled down from front to back) as their heat needs dictate.

I have seen feather dusters used in standard brooders. But there are a few drawbacks. Believe it or not Chicks actually can get hungup in them. Because they are static non moving like a broody hen would have. And they do get dirty. A broody hen will have removed a substantial amount of feathers in order to incubate eggs as well.

Remember the chicks are insulated by their own down so really what is on the underside only needs to be somewhat soft. What ever you do to keep that clean is up to you.

I think most of us follow the KISS rule.... Keep It Simple Silly... better for all.

For what its worth my first brooding experience involved a hundred watt light bulb and a cage on the back porch open to the elements. That was about twenty four years ago. Bought four chicks at the feed store figuing I would loose one or two before they got through incubation. Nope everyone survived. That was before I knew anything about temperature. My dad just told me If they peep alot they are either too hot or too cold. Up till now this was my go to method.

All you have to do is meet their needs not yours.

deb

UPDATE - I lost 3 of the 19 hatched chicks from Monday, and today (Wednesday) I put the 16 remaining outside into the MHP in the Big Girls coop.

They INSTANTLY loved it and went scooting underneath! They made sweet little happy chirpy sounds. Oh how relieved and happy I am now. They are eating and drinking.

It is FUNNY how the Big Chickens are reacting. They are afraid of them, peeking at them, and running away. I expect they'll adjust soon enough, especially when it's time to roost tonight. Some of them have a little pasty butt, so I will try to keep after it, the best I can. I haven't had much luck getting it off.

Temperatures are down to the high 20's and low 30's at night. I trust the little fluffballs will cuddle up under MHP and stay warm.

Whew, I feel like I can relax now and breathe a little. It was traumatizing to see 3 little chicks die, and do pasty butt nursing yesterday.
The photo isn't great, but here it is anyhow:

Jan

Back
Top Bottom